Police blotter, March 30

Thursday, March 24, 2016.

• A student called the Department of Public Safety at 9:12 a.m. to report that their cell phone had been stolen. The student left their phone in a bag unattended in Olds, March 22, from 2:05 to 5:00 p.m. When the student returned, the phone was gone. DPS is reviewing security camera footage.
  • A student in a white Buick hit a student in a Ford Taurus at the corner of Oakwood near the parking structure at 6:01 p.m. According to DPS, the student in the Buick then drove off. DPS has not concluded its investigation and said charges could be possible. The case has been handed off to the Office of Student Conduct.
  • Student Housing called DPS to Putnam at 6:32 p.m., for what the EMU crime log described as “friends engaged in fight.” DPS says students were engaged in a mutual assault, which they aren’t seeking charges for. They have referred them to Student Conduct.

Friday, Mach 25, 2016.

• A student in Sellers called DPS to report a burglary at 12:54 a.m. The window to their ground floor dorm was forced open and money the student had in their room was taken. DPS is mid-investigation.
  • The family of a student in Hill called DPS at 10:34 a.m. to ask them to check in on their student, an underage person they believed to be using alcohol. DPS found the student, who was intoxicated, and have referred the student to Student Conduct.

Saturday, March 26, 2016.

• A car accident near the Marriott Hotel at 12:46 a.m. led to the police finding out that one of the cars involved had been stolen. Three non-students were involved and DPS has submitted charges for review to the Washtenaw County Prosecutors Office.
  • A student at Westview called DPS at 2:16 p.m. in what has been referred to as a “disturbing the peace call.” Two other female students and the mother of a student approached the resident’s apartment and an argument ensued, according to DPS. The police showed up and resolved the problem. This case has been handed over to Student Conduct.
  • A car was stopped at the corner of Hamilton and Michigan Avenue at 8:16 p.m. for a traffic violation. The officer could smell marijuana and found it in the vehicle, along with other paraphernalia. Both of the non-students in the vehicle were cited for paraphernalia.

Sunday, March 27, 2016.

• Students in Sellers called DPS at 7:24 p.m. to report that the screen to their dorm window had been damaged. There is no evidence that anyone had entered the apartment through the screen.