News briefs, April 17

The EMU Food Campus is going to be hosting a food drive in the Student Center all week. They are going to be accepting all non-perishable food items, anytime, in room 346.

The semester is ending and students are deciding what their plans are for fall. Students interested in study abroad can get information on EMU’s programs at 103 Boone Hall, Monday, April 18, at 1:00 p.m. This information session is free.

Food insecurity is a persistent problem for college students across the country. The University of California found in 2010 that 23 percent of their students had skipped meals to save money, as reported in The Atlantic. The same year, the City University of New York found that 37 percent of its students were food insecure. At Eastern, students will be able to learn healthy and affordable recipes in the Rackham demonstration kitchen. Callie de Gracia is the registered dietitian who will be hosting the demonstration, that will start at 5:00 p.m. This is free and LBC approved.

Eastern will be hosting the 2016 Washtenaw Heart Walk at Rynearson, May 7. EMU is going to be selling Eagles Have Heart t-shirts for this event in the Student Center, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 19.

More and more classes at EMU continue to use Canvas to access and submit assignments. Prof. Jeanne Thomas is going will be showing how to make peer reviews with it at Halle Library room 104, Wednesday, April 20. This Brown Bag Lunch Series lecture is free and starts at 12:30 p.m.

Eastern Michigan University has a Livonia Campus on 6 Mile Road. They will be holding an event program where students that are interested in transferring to this location can learn how to do so. This will be at 38777 Six Mile Road at 4:00 p.m., Wednesday.

Sally Young is the producer for the ABC sitcom Modern Family. She will be at EMU, Thursday, April 21, to talk about her career. This will start in Quirk at 5:00 p.m. This is free and LBC approved.

EMU’s softball team will be playing Northern Illinois at the Varsity Field at 3:00 p.m., Friday, April 22. This game is free to attend.