Police blotter, April 9

Thursday, March 31, 2016.

• The Department of Public Safety was called to Westview apartments for a report of someone using marijuana. When officers approached the apartment at 8:59 p.m., they “could smell it as they walked up,” according to a DPS spokesperson. This matter has been handed over to the Office of Student Conduct.
  • DPS came across a man drinking in public at the corner of Cross and College Place at 9:51 p.m. The non-student was given a verbal warning.
  • The Special Victims Unit of DPS is investigating a sexual assault case that occurred in Cornell around 10:00 p.m. The victim reported the attack, by another student, at 11:31 p.m. Investigations into what the EMU crime log called “CSC 3rd Degree – Penetration penis/vagina” are still ongoing. The likelihood of charges has not been determined. Student Conduct and the Section IX officer are also involved.

Friday, April 1, 2016.

• An EMU student was assaulted by another student over a disagreement in Phelps at 7:59 p.m. According to DPS no charges will be filled and they have handed the case over to Student Conduct.
  • A DPS vehicle went on patrol into the parking lot of Penn Place at 10:02 p.m., Friday. While there, DPS caught two people smoking marijuana in a car and confronted them. One of them was a student, who was issued a citation and is being referred to Student Conduct. The other was non-student.

Saturday, April 2, 2016.

• An EMU student called DPS at 11:51 a.m. to report that the side view mirror of their car had been knocked off in North Lot. This would have happened sometime between 10:00 p.m. April 1 and 10:00 a.m. April 2. DPS is reviewing security camera footage.
  • Three people were involved in a fight at the basketball courts in the Olds/Robb building at 12:43 p.m. A game ended up in a fist fight, which DPS referred to as a two on one assault. The victim, who is not a student, received a cut above the eye and was transported to St. Joseph Mercy’s Hospital. The other two involved were non-students as well. All three people involved have been banned from campus.
  • Two minors shoplifted from the EMU book store and made their way across campus to Kampus Korner, where they were confronted by DPS at 3:49 p.m. While there, an EMU student approached the officers and claimed that the two had stolen their cell phone. DPS is seeking charges with the Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office against the minors, one of whom has been previously kicked off campus.

Sunday, April 3, 2016.

• The arguing of three people in Cornell Apartments led DPS to be called their at 2:42 a.m. DPS records say that a “verbal disagreement between friends” resulted in furniture and other property being thrown off of the balcony of the second floor residence in the course of the fight. There was no physical altercation in this alcohol fueled argument. Two of the people involved were EMU students, who have been referred to Student Conduct. The non-student has been banned from campus.

Monday, April 4, 2016.

• A patrolling DPS officer came across a fight between two people at the corner of Hamilton and Woodward at 3:14 a.m. They fight was broken up and no charges were necessary.
  • DPS pulled over a car for a traffic violation at the corner of Huron River Drive and LeForge Road at 9:36 p.m. Officers could smell marijuana from the car and cited the two non-students for paraphernalia.

Records show no incidents reported Tuesday, April 5.

Wednesday, March 6.

• A non-EMU student was pulled over at the corner of LeForge Road and Railroad Street at 1:03 p.m. because the plates indicated that there was a warrant for the arrest of the driver. The driver was taken to the Washtenaw County Jail and also received two citations. One was for paraphernalia and the other for driving with a suspended driver’s license.
  • A 19 year old non-student was driving with a blood alcohol level of between 0.2% and 0.7%. DPS found them at the corner of Michigan and Hamilton at 1:37 a.m. They noticed the vehicle because it was sitting at the corner while the lights turned red, yellow and green several times but the car remained in place. The driver failed the field sobriety test and was taken to the Washtenaw County Jail. DPS is seeking charges with the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s Office.