The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

Sergio Bailey steals the ball from a defender.

Eagles roll to 28-25 win

Eastern Michigan (4-1) defeated Bowling Green (1-4) on Saturday, 28-25, as they pick up their first Mid-American Conference win of the year.

The Eagles were led by a strong running game and a dominant performance by the defense as they picked off Quarterback James Morgan and only surrendered 25 points. The defense had a dominant first three quarters as they only surrendered 10 points.

“Our defense was consistent throughout, our offense did some neat things in the first half. But it was the feel; you know when you’re into it and on it and it just feels right,” said coach Chris Creighton on early struggles in the first half.

Early in the third quarter redshirt junior quarterback Todd Porter was injured. Porter threw for 107 yards, an interception and ran for 37 yards before he exited the game and would not return. Redshirt junior Brogan Roback was sent in to play and shined for the Eagles. Roback threw sparingly for 91 yards and three touchdowns as he would lead the team to a 21-point second-half.

Roback was able to hook up with three different receivers for touchdowns. Redshirt freshman Nigel Kilby led the team with five catches for 92 yards and a touchdown. Of his yards, 64 for of them came in the form of a double pass from redshirt freshman Isaac Holder. Holder caught his first touchdown of his career.  Junior Sergio Bailey had four catches for 71 yards, and a touchdown in which he battled with a defensive back to steal the ball from him.

“Our receivers are great. We’ve had some big plays. I’ve made some big plays myself. Our offense is set up to do great things,” said Kilby.

Saturday was a break-out game for redshirt freshman Breck Turner who ran for 107 yards and a touchdown in the Eagle victory. Ian Eriksen got the start for the game and carried the ball 20 times for 61 yards. The Eagles, all together, ran for 212 yards.

The defense dominated through the first three quarters as they held the Falcons to 10 points. The Falcons attempted to steal the game as they scored 15 in the final quarter, but the Eagles managed the game and ran down the clock to win.

The secondary was led by Ikie Calderon who tied the team lead for tackled with 12 but also broke up a pass and registered a sack, as the group held James Morgan of BGSU to a 50 percent completion rating. Redshirt sophomore Kyle Rachwal also contributed while producing 12 tackles. Pat O’Connor has continued his final season at EMU as he produced a sack, a forced fumble and four tackles.

“We see each other getting better and better, and we push each other to get better and better, and the coaches push us to get better and better. So, when we come out to game day, it’s just another day to us’” said Calderon.

Senior defensive back DaQuan Pace cemented his name in the Eastern Michigan record books on Saturday. Pace broke the record for passes defensed in EMU history with his first of two during the game.

“It feels good. I didn’t really know until last week, and I didn’t really think about it coming into the game and then they told me on the sideline,” said Pace.

The Eagles look to extend their win streak to four as they head back to Rynearson Stadium on Saturday to face off against the Toledo Rockets at Eastern Michigan’s homecoming. Kickoff is set for 3 pm.