EMU Black Homecoming 2016

This week makes Eastern Michigan University's 96th Homecoming, and the 5th year for EMU’s Black Homecoming. Black Homecoming is put by EMU's Black Student Union, EMU NAACP Chapter, and NPHC. Black Homecoming was started because historically black students have felt EMU's traditional Homecoming lacks equal representation of the entire student body.

The 2016 Black homecoming court consists of four pairs; Tanasia Morton and Davion Reeder, DeAnn and Waverly Bausley, Shaina Johnson and Pascaline Shuneh, and Morgan Randall and Rodney Burse. Students can begin voting now to determine who will be crowned, polls are open until October 6 at 12 p.m.

To familiarize voters with the Black Homecoming court, each candidate was asked what makes them qualified to win King or Queen:

“I exemplify leadership on campus this year,” said Morgan Randell, Black Homecoming Queen candidate.

“I’m a leader on campus, and a president of my organization, and always giving back to the community,” said Rodney Burse, Black Homecoming King candidate.

“I am very active in the Black community. One thing that I am very proud of is starting NAPS (naturally authentic passionate and stylish), the main purpose is to help women of color live healthier and better lifestyles. I also have a good hand in the community outside of Eastern,” said Shaina Johnson, Black Homecoming Queen candidate.

“There has never been diversity when it comes to homecoming,  and most events on campus, even though EMU is suppose to be a diverse campus, so I want to do something different and bring the diversity in,” said Pascaline Shuneh, Black Homecoming Queen candidate.

“In my four years here at Eastern I have not only been involved in multiple organizations, but I have also got to the point where I ran for Student Body President and won. I have always been supporting black students on campus,” said Tanasia Morton, Black Homecoming Queen candidate.

“I am the all around student. I can have fun, and we can get ratchet, but at the same time be involved in campus, do community service, and keep my grades up,” Davion Reeder, Black Homecoming King candidate.

“I am strong, I am outspoken, and I am very confident, which are all things I think a Queen is. I am unapologetically black, said DeAnn Wiley, Black Homecoming Queen candidate.

“The Black student body deserves proper representation within black homecoming court. I am an exceptional individual, and I am involved in a lot of activities on campus,” said Waverly Bausley, Black Homecoming King candidate.

The winning pair will be announced at EMU'S Green and White Ball, held on October 6 in McKenny Hall Ballroom from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Before voting began each candidate delivered their own unique message to the student body:

“From the traumatic experiences that we have experienced over these past two weeks, yes all lives matter, but black lives matter too,” said Randell.

“We need to keep doing what we’re doing, and better the campus,” said Shuneh.

“Black girls are magic, always remember that, and don’t let anyone tell you different,” said Johnson.

“In the words of the great Gucci, don’t get lost in the sauce, it’s the nation,” said Reeder.

“In our times of trouble, which we are currently in, stay strong, and always keep your self care first,” said Morton.

“It starts with us, and our life matters,” said Burse.

“We are doing good with not letting issues divide us or bring us down while fighting for what we believe in, and I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of the student body,” said Wiley.

“We have a lot of work to do as a student body, and we have a lot of work to do in regards to our university, but as long as we continue to seek growth and improvement EMU will be a better University every day, “ said Bausley.

The link to cast votes, and more information on candidates can be found on easternecho.com

Voting for Black Homecoming