News Briefs, Oct. 15

EMU's College of Business among nation's best in Princeton Review

EMU's College of Business was ranked one of the nation's best business schools according to the 2017 edition of the Princeton Review's book, "The Best 294 Business Schools."

The Princeton Review ranks business schools on school-reported data as well as surveys from more than 25,000 students. The 294 best schools listed by the Princeton Review aren't listed from 1 to 294.

"This recognition, awarded for the 13th consecutive year, illustrates that our faculty are providing an exciting, top-tier and real-world business education to our students, who are going on to exceptional and meaningful careers," said Michael Tidwell, dean of EMU's College of Business, in an EMU news release.

The College of Business has nearly 2,400 undergraduate students currently pursuing one of the 12 majors offered and more than 700 graduate students.

The results are in: YPSI 24 hour film shootout 

On Oct. 8 and 9 over 40 independent film crews set out to create a film within 24 hours for the YPSI 24 Hour Film Shootout.

For the event each participant was allowed to assemble a team and crew. Once the event began "ingredients" were announced that included a line of dialog, a location, a prop, or other requirements for the film being produced. This forced filmmakers to think on their feet and not use pre-planned material or scripts.

Out of the 40 films submitted 25 of the completed films were chosen to be screened on Friday, Oct. 14 in the Towsley Auditorium at Washtenaw Community College.

Several awards were given to the top films, including:

• $1,000 grand prize for first place
  • $500 prize for second place
  • $300 prize for third place
  • Three $100 prizes for honorable mentions
  • $500 prize for the audience award winner
  • $500 for the Manupelli award

Full uploads for the submitted film entries can be found at www.ypsi24.com

EMU hosts Graduate Open House 

Eastern Michigan University invited graduates and professionals to the EMU Graduate Open House on Saturday, Oct. 15 to learn about pursuing a graduate degree.

The event gave attendees the opportunity to speak about a variety of disciplines with program advisors in areas ranging from business, education, technology, health, human services and arts.

Attendees were also able to learn about graduate assistantships and doctoral fellowships, meet with faculty members about doctoral and cohort programs and were able to apply for admission. The next EMU Graduate Open House will be held on Saturday, March 25.

Ann Arbor/Ypsi Alzheimer's Walk raises $160,000  

More than 1,000 residents from the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti areas joined the Alzheimer’s Association’s Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Sunday, October 9 at Washtenaw Community College.

Participants raised nearly $160,000 to fund Alzheimer's care, support and research programs. The event also included a tribute to those who have experienced or are experiencing Alzheimer’s, as well as an appearance by Congresswoman Debbie Dingell.

“With over 180,000 people in Michigan living with Alzheimer's disease and over half a million caregivers, it's a cause that has touched the lives of far too many Washtenaw County residents,” said Maggie Gibbons, Walk Manager for the Alzheimer's Association, Michigan Great Lakes Chapter. “Alzheimer’s disease is relentless, but so are we. Right now, there are no survivors at our walks. But the record turnout and record amount raised this year just shows how dedicated people in this community are to changing that.”