I voted

To vote or to not vote Nov. 8

Efforts at Eastern Michigan University have been actively influencing students to practice their right to vote in the upcoming presidential election on November 8. 

The deadline through Secretary of State for new voter registration is October 11th. Voters must be 18 years or older on or by Nov 8 to be eligible. The candidates are republican nominee Donald Trump, and democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. However many voters are deciding between to vote or not to vote, versus deciding between candidates.

“I’m not registered to vote, but I plan on registering before the deadline,” I don’t want Hillary or Trump to win, but I’d rather have Hillary in office, so I feel like not registering, and not voting will be giving Trump a better chance to win,” said Savanah Anderson, 18, pediatrics major.

The first presidential debate was held on September 26, 2016, a link to the full video is on easternecho.com. The debate between vice presidential candidates will be held on Tuesday, Oct 4. The second presidential debate will be held on Sunday, Oct 9 and the final presidential debate will be held on Wednesday, Oct 19.

“I am registered to vote because I believe in exercising that right. In my heart I believe that our vote counts, therefore we can control our future,” said Thomas Graham, 20, political science major.

Over the past month nonpartisan volunteers have joined in on the push to register new voters. Volunteers have been stationed around EMU’s campus actively registering new voters.

“I think all votes count because I’ve seen a lot of elections be very close, and even a few can make a huge difference because of the way the system works with the electoral college,” said Linda Locklin, volunteer, former high school government teacher. “The younger demographic has the most to gain and the most to lose. This election is huge,” said Locklin.

The new Honors College is the polling location for EMU Students registered with their campus address. Located at 511 West Forest Street, between Pease Auditorium and Sill Hall.

“Students are our future. I hope student look at the issues from both candidates, and determine what each one plans to do for them. I hope they take the opportunity to look at the content of the programs being offered, and not just sound bites,” said Lora Durham, volunteer, EMU emeritus faculty.“It’s the one thing you can do, if you don’t like the result you can complain if at least you voted,” said Durham.

EMU Student Government has offered students assistance with registering to vote, and more information can be found online, or in the Student Government offices, Student Center, Rm 342.

Voter Information