"Vital Signs" set to be preformed at EMU

This weekend, “Vital Signs”, a play by Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Jane Martin, comes to EMU. It is a collage of monologues about the experience of being a woman, through all the trials and triumphs, glories and griefs. The play is designed to initiate conversation about the different worlds in which women live.

“This production has been an amazing journey with an incredible group of humans”, says Pam Cardell, the play’s director.

Cardell and the performers are trying to do more than just start discussions; they are trying to help.We will be taking cash donations for SafeHouse Center - Domestic Violence Project during our pre show entertainment and intermission. Each person who donates will receive a raffle ticket. At the end of the show we'll draw a winning number and that person will take home the art piece that Christine has created live during the show.

“We are excited to have Christine Franzen (an EMU student, who also designed the projections for the most recent Main Stage show, “Macbeth”) creating an art piece,” said Cardell.

The crew only had 3 weeks to put the production together because it's a Second Stage piece for EMU Theatre. Second Stage means the production has a tight rehearsal schedule, limited budget and minimal tech.

“Those sorts of challenges have really pushed us to think outside the box and be extra creative,” said Cardell

The play will include transitions between monologues and some non-verbal performances to go along with the songs. The crew has combined the monologues from “Vital Signs” by Jane Martin with the songs from the album “Angel Food for Thought,” by Meryn Cadell.

"This play has been a saving grace for me knowing that we have a place to tell our stories, whether they are personally ours or not. It's time people hear them. It's time," said Haley Jugowicz, a senior theatre major and a performer in “Vital Signs.”

Cardell agrees. “Our focus is on sharing stories, all kinds of stories, and encouraging others to share their stories. You never know what sort of ripple effect you may have on the world.”

“Vital Signs” runs November 18th and 19th at 7 PM, and November 20th at 2 PM in the Sponberg Theatre, located in the Quirk Dramatic Arts Building. Ticket prices are $7. Due to language and mature situations, the performance is recommended for adult audiences. Please also note that there are many potential emotional triggers during the show.