The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

white_house.jpg

Road to Recovery: Government Shutdown

One of the longest government shutdowns in our nation’s history has finally ended this past week on Friday, Jan. 25. Both political parties have three weeks until Feb. 15 to roll up their sleeves and come to a consensus over the border security. 

In the midst, there are still local families and government agencies being affected by the 35 day shutdown. Beginning on Dec. 22, thousands of federal employees were without pay and some federal employees receive furlough. 

“This past month has proven just how vital government services are to the American people, whether it's our food safety, our airports, our national parks, our economy, our national security and so much else,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said Friday.

As President Trump made his address this past Friday, he stated how the financially stressed federal employees will be compensated. “I will make sure that all employees receive their back pay very quickly or as soon as possible, it’ll happen fast.” 

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and Schumer live reacted to President Trump’s announcement to the public. “Our dedicated public servants should never, never have to go through this again,” Schumer said. “We will do everything we can to make sure they don’t have to.” 

Even though there has been a temporary fix, federal agencies such as the IRS are having to “reboot” and become fully operational again. On the verge of tax season, the shutdown has caused a major disruption to the series of services the IRS provides. 

Americans who have placed calls or sent emails regarding their tax information will now be delayed even further due to the challenge of the shutdown. 

Museums such as the Smithsonian and the National Zoo will be reopening their doors on Tuesday to the public. 

Overall, the shutdown’s damage has created a long lasting impression among the federal employees, House, Senate, Democrats and Republicans. 

According to Vox, there has been at least 35 ways the government shutdown has affected the nation, ranging from immigration, Native American tribes, food and agriculture to housing, and crime and security. These consequences of the shutdown have become evident in every business and in everyday living.

“Shutdowns are painful and useless,” Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia said. “Who’s winning here? Well, it’s pretty clear the American people aren’t winning. And in the end, I don’t think anybody wins.”

A picture of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C., Image taken on a previous occasion.