Roosevelt Hall

Renovation of Roosevelt Hall to be presented as top state capital outlay request for Fiscal Year 2021

EMU will present the renovation of Roosevelt Hall as its top state capital outlay request for Fiscal Year 2021.

EMU will present the renovation of Roosevelt Hall as the top project state capital outlay request for EMU’s 2021 Fiscal Year. This renovation is Phase II of the College of Engineering and Technology’s expansion. 

Roosevelt Hall was built in 1924 and last renovated in 1973. The renovation will cost $42.5 million with 75% of the cost from state contribution (capped at $30 million) and 25% from EMU. EMU’s cost share would be $12.5 million.

Michael Valdes, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer to the Board of Regents, explained that this is a change from the submission last year.

“This is a change from our submission last year, and when you look at the Captial Outlay Plan, you will see a fairly extensive rewrite of those finances,” said Valdes at the Board of Regent’s Finance and Investment Committee meeting.

This extensive rewrite was completed in “record time,” according to Valdes, by Robert Densic, the University Architect, and Daniel Kelly, the Senior Associate to the Chief Financial Officer.

The renovation would cover approximately 75,500 square feet, providing facilities such as maker spaces, specialty labs, cyber security networks and labs, computer/simulation labs, virtual and augmented reality labs, research labs, student success suites, student collaboration areas and student organization/academic support areas.

Other considerations were made in the past to renovate the Jones and Goddard Halls, however due to technical challenges of adapting facilities originally designed for residents, Roosevelt Hall was selected on account of its location and good condition of the building structure.

About $11 million will be used on deferred maintenance and asset preservation needs including obsolete or failing building systems (mechanical, plumbing, electrical), replacement of the roof, installing new fire suppression systems, updating outdated room layouts, orientations and sizing, energy inefficient windows, internal building envelope systems, inadequate handicap accessibility and interior finishes.

Currently, Roosevelt Hall is used for the College of Engineering and Technology’s non-engineering programs such as Computer Science, Information Assurance, Simulation/Animation/Gaming, Construction Management, Military Science and Textile Science. 

EMU is also currently renovating Sill Hall, the location of the College of Engineering and Technology, with its completion scheduled for the fall of 2020.

The Management Budget Act, Public Act 431, requires universities to submit a Five-Year Capital Outlay Plan no later than Nov. 1 of each year. Universities may also elect to submit a capital outlay project request for state cost participation. EMU’s Five-Year Capital Outlay Plan will be posted to the EMU website no later than Oct. 31.

For more details, the implementation plan is available at https://www.emich.edu/regents/board-documents/2019/10-25-2019.php in Section 19 under “Finance and Investment Committee.”