image1 (1).jpg

Zeta Sigma Chi hosts Beat the DJ

The genres students had to guessed from ranged from traditional categories like “Today’s Hits” and “Country” to trickier categories like “Cleveland Rap” and “Cookout.”

On Thursday, October 18, Campus Life and Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Society co-hosted an event called “Beat the DJ” in Student Center room 310AB.

Team “We Here to Win” took the ultimate victory with a total of 4138 points, becoming the inaugural winners of Beat the DJ.

There were four rounds. The teams that won the first three qualifying rounds advanced to the final fourth round. Teams “We Here to Win,” “We Finna Lose” and “Drs” competed in the final round.

The members of Team “We Here to Win” were EMU students Myranda Ivey, Ariel Nichols and Taylor Nichols. Each team member won a $5 Starbucks gift card as well as a Starbucks cup. Team “We Here to Win” also won, along with Team “We Finna Lose” and “Drs,” some Campus Life merch and some candy for winning the qualifying rounds.

President of Zeta Sigma Chi Brianna Madison hosted the event alongside Zeta Sigma Chi member-at-large Abby Tandoh. Madison said, “The event was kind of based off the show Beat Shazam. I came up with a list of different genres and then the DJ picked the songs.”

Participants had to guess what song they heard playing and answer in the fastest possible time. In a variation created for Beat the DJ, participants gave their answer by picking an answer from Kahoot and Kahoot assigned the points based on correctness and speed.

Madison liked how the event turned out but she also knows how she would change it if she were to host it again next semester. “I think it went pretty well. I think I would downsize the room a little bit, so it doesn’t seem so empty just in case it’s not a huge turnout. I think I’d probably [collaborate] with another org as well.”

The success of the event hinged on the hype of EMU favorite DJ LiXxer. DJ LiXxer hyped the crowed between each round where she hosted some additional games, including an impromptu twerk off, a round of “Turbo Hustle” and an extra Family Feud-style bonus round.

“It was cool. It was different. I never did this before. The whole beat the DJ concept was pretty dope. I like it. Next time I’ll make it a little bit harder though because y’all knew it too easily. I didn’t want to [make it too] hard,” DJ LiXxer said.

DJ Sleezy accompanied DJ LiXxer and helped set up the equipment. Even though he is a DJ, he still found the game challenging. He said, “It was fun. It kind of tested your musical sense because there was a couple stuff in there where I was like ‘wait what is that?’”

Reflecting on her busy schedule at this time of year, DJ LiXxer said, “It gets busy like especially now during the Homecoming season, so I do [events at] U of M, Wayne State and Eastern but y’all are probably, don’t tell anyone, but y’all are probably the hypest campus.”

Promotional poster for Beat the DJ

In order to learn about additional events from Zeta Sigma Chi, follow @emu_zchis on Instagram. To go to another DJ LiXxer hosted event, follow @djlixxer on Instagram.