The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Business and Finance Committee holds extra meeting.jpg

Business and Finance Committee holds extra meeting to correct miscommunication error

Director Mohammad Aggour had a miscommunication with two organizations and held an extra meeting to correct his mistake and have senators vote on a resolution.

The Business and Finance Committee held a makeup meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 5 to correct a communication error between Director Mohammad Aggour and two student organizations, as well as to vote on a resolution.

On Tuesday, Oct. 30, N.A.P.S (Natural Authentic Passionate Stylish) and the International Student Association didn’t show up to the committee meeting. At the meeting Aggour said the organizations would not be receiving funds since none of the members from either group were present. However, Aggour realized he made a mistake and had forgotten to send confirmation emails. The organizations were then invited to this makeup meeting.

N.A.P.S (Natural Authentic Passionate Stylish) Treasurer Ashmarhea Johnson said her organization is requesting money for the rental of Big Bob’s Lake House for a social event the group is hosting.

“During November we have N.A.P.S November and it’s a month dedicated to our organization and we have a bunch of events,” Johnson said. “So for this particular event that we’re having it’s called Social Sunday and it’s actually a fundraiser for our organization since we don’t really ask for a lot in dues we try to find other ways for our organization to be successful without dues. The purpose of Social Sunday is that it’s around Thanksgiving time, we want to have people come out and buy dinners. So we’re providing the food and we are requesting $48 for Big Bob’s Lake House and that’s the only cost we really need covered. Everything else will be covered through us. We’re providing the food through Swoop’s Pantry, utilizing that as much as we can and also going to the grocery store and buying food.”

Aggour asked Johnson if the event is open to all students on campus.

“Yes,” Johnson said. “It’s open to all organizations, it’s open to all colors, forms, shapes, sizes.”

After a 4-0 vote, the committee allocated the amount of $48 to N.A.P.S.

The International Student Association did not have any of its members present to speak on behalf of the organization and therefore no funds were allocated.

The committee also voted on Resolution 106-09. This resolution was written by Student Body President Ethan Smith and involves Student Government matching student donations during #GivingTRUEDAY.

“On GivingTRUEDAY on (Tuesday,) Dec. 3, EMU students will be asked to donate $5 to the security fund (Student Emergency Fund) that the administration has been working on. With each student, each $5 donation, the Resolution, as written, would be matched,” Aggour said. “For every $5 donated there will be a $5 contribution from Student Government budget and that will be coming from the Student Government Event Non-Committee Line Item.The Line Item, as it says in the Resolution, is up to $837.”

Senator Nick Galluzzo also pointed out that in the last line of the Resolution, it says that remaining funds, if they went over the Line Item amount, would be taken out of the reserves. So they are not limited to how many donations they can match.

The Business and Finance Committee voted to pass Resolution 106-09. The Resolution was also discussed and voted on during the Senate meeting later that night.