Tennis match

EMU tennis defeats Cleveland State

The Eagles trailed 2-1 before coming back to win.

The Eastern Michigan women’s tennis team claimed another win in the clash against the Cleveland State Vikings, with this only being their second matchup against each other in school history. EMU was able to take yet another victory, remaining undefeated against them with a 2-0 record. The Eagles currently reside at a solid 10-7 record as a result, while Cleveland State falls to 8-5.

The women got things rolling by starting off in doubles. Out of the six members for each squadron, three separate matches took place. The Eagles were able to take the first point, as they won two out of the three matches. The first pairing of Marie Mayernova and Julia Piatek performed flawlessly, sweeping their opponents 6-0.

The two have been solidified as partners for the majority of the season, and with this victory they are 6-3 in their last 10 (one of the matches was unfinished). The second duo of Vasavi Ganesan and Isabelle Pompa fell to their opponents 4-6, while the final matchup ended with Morgan Ingram and Emma-Lou Pommiers, defeating the Vikings 6-4.

Moving onto singles with a one-point lead in their favor, Cleveland State began to shine in their solo performances, reassuring the score to a 2-1 lead. The Vikings were able to start their comeback with great performances from Lara Prosenjak and Sian Payne. Both players were able to be the first two to finish their matches, and only took two sets to complete their games.

As hope seemed to dwindle for the Eagles, they were able to persevere and climb back to the top. Isabelle Popma was able to finish her matches in a mere two sets. Down on the scoreboard 4-3 in game two, she was able to make a 3-0 run, finishing her final set 6-4 and resulted in a 2-2 tie.

The fourth match to finish was between Marie Mayerova of Eastern Michigan and Kiara Marcela of Cleveland State. Mayerova was able to come back and take the match in set three, after losing the first, to put the Eagles back on top 3-2. Emma-Lou Pommiers fell to her opponent after a hard fought match, taking it all the way to set three.

The final match between Piatek of Eastern Michigan and Gaby Schoenburg on the Vikings side, would be the deciding factor of this battle. In a turn of events, Piatek was able to come back and take the match after losing game one, resulting in a 4-3 victory over Cleveland State.

After a great performance by the women’s tennis team, they left the arena with another win in the books. Stated earlier, Eastern Michigan improved to 10-7 on the season. The Eagles were set to face the Western Michigan Broncos in a couple of weeks but the remainder of the season has been cancelled, as has all spring sports, due to the coronavirus.