EMU Football Defeated by Super Bowl MVP.

Opinion: Five potential 2020 fantasy football busts

Echo sports columnist Caleb Burlingame lists players you should stay away from in the 2020 fantasy football season.

In our long absence of football, I have found there’s much larger buzz around the fantasy football scene.

In last week's article, I went over a few of the players I thought could breakout for the 2020 fantasy football season- to try and help you draft your team more effectively. Sticking with that theme of trying to help you draft better, I think it’s only right to talk about the other side of picking players - potential busts.

Busts are players that are often rated high on draft charts, but do not end up playing as well as they’re expected to. Busts can result from multiple things, like injuries or contract holdouts, and can completely derail your fantasy squad. Below, are five players I’m staying away from this year.

Kenyan Drake, RB, Cardinals

Drake is a player that is trending very high right now in draft charts, and being taken in the first few rounds of recent mock drafts I have seen.

Drake is a talented back, but has never been on a good team before. He’s never taken my breath away or shown he’s worth an early pick yet, so taking him with one of your first picks is certainly risky. 

Also, the offense has too many mouths to feed. With Murray and De’Andre Hopkins as the offense’s cornerstones, I think Drake could be overlooked. I would go with someone more established in the early rounds.

Dalvin Cook, RB, Vikings

This pick really hurts me, because I was a victim to a Dalvin Cook bust season a couple of years ago. I simply cannot trust Cook due to him being arguably the most injury prone player in the NFL. Cook has not finished one season in the past three years, and I don’t think he’s worth anything close to a first round pick. Let someone else carry that burden.

Rob Gronkowski, TE, Buccaneers

Gronk may have gotten the attention of analysts and fans with his sudden “coming out of retirement party”, but I think the Gronk of the past is gone. Coming back after an extended absence will have Gronk rusty and unable to shoulder the workload he did in New England. 

Also, Tom Brady is getting old and is expected to have an unremarkable season. Gronk will have to fight with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin for receptions, and screams bust.

D’Andre Swift, RB, Lions

I had Swift rated as an extremely good pick for the Lions after this year's draft. Swift can run the ball well and is quicker than lightning, but the Lions’ run game has been the worst in the league for years. Detroit has made good strides to bolster their offense line, but Swift will also have to earn his spot over already established Kerryon Johnson. 

Swift could be a good addition in the later rounds, but don’t reach for him. Swift may also suffer from freshman blues and be a bust.

Brandin Cooks, WR, Texans

Last but not least we have Brandin Cooks. Cooks is another one of those players that just cannot seem to stay healthy. Concussions and sprains have held Cooks back from being an elite receiver, and his speed isn’t what it used to be. Deshaun Watson is a great quarterback, and Cooks will look to fill De’Andre Hopkins’ place, but Cooks seems more on the risky side. 

Drafting a fantasy team is never truly easy. There will always be unexpected sleepers or busts, and predicting those players is hard. Try your best to stay away from the players listed above, and you should do okay.