Student Government office sign

Senator application approved, Resolution 107-05 Denied by Eastern Michigan University's Student Government at last meeting

Senators from EMU’s Student Government voted on two matters during the New Business section of their regularly scheduled zoom meetings.

On Tuesday, Feb. 23, at 6:30 p.m. new business was discussed during Eastern Michigan University’s Student Government including voting on Resolution 107-05 and reviewing a new Senator application.

Jessi Kwek, an Eastern Michigan Sophomore majoring in Political Science, was introduced by Vice President Colton Ray to the current Senators.

Kwek’s application speech included what she would like to work towards to change on campus.

“I would like to be a part of getting ramps built or better accessibility on campus as necessary and I would also like to work with our dining department on creating a more sustainable menu that has more options for people with dietary restrictions,” Kwek said.

In addition, Kwek would also like to implement a change to EMU’s current meal plans.

“I would like to be a part of creating a meal plan sharing program, where students could donate extra meal swipes to students who experience food insecurity. Currently, meal swipes unused by EMU students who have purchased meal plans are not able to be saved if they are not used that day," Kwek said.

Current Senators voted yes to Kwek’s application by unanimous consent. Kwek was sworn in by Student Government President Luis Romero after Ray announced the voting results. 

There are now 16 sitting Senators in EMU’s Student Government. All students are welcome to submit an application for a position in the 2021-2022 school year’s Student Government. The deadline is March 8 and can be found on the EMU Student Government website.

Following welcoming the new Senator, the next order of new business was to vote on Resolution 107-05 which had been discussed and introduced in the previous meeting. Resolution 107-05 would eliminate the voting rights of the Parliamentarian and would be updated in the Bylaws.

After more deliberation that continued from the last meeting, there was still confusion and concerns regarding the Resolution to some Senators about losing one person when it comes to voting. As a result, Resolution 107-05 was voted no by a roll call vote.

The next Student Government meeting will be held on March 9, at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom. The registration link can be found on the EMU Student Government website.