The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU Men's Basketball fall to Bowling Green in offensive battle 85-71

Freshman Colin Golson Jr. led the way for the Eagles, scoring 16 points

The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team (7-11, 2-5 MAC) dropped their fourth-straight game Jan. 25, against Bowling Green State University (11-9, 4-5 MAC) inside the Stroh Center. The final score ended up being 85-71, BGSU. 

Following the loss, the Eagles have now dropped to 7-11 overall on the season, and 2-5 in MAC play. BGSU improves to 11-9 overall, and 4-5 in the MAC. 

The Eagles and the Falcons started off the matchup trading baskets. BGSU slowly gained momentum and took the lead. BGSU ended the half on a 14-5 run. Golson led the way for the Eagles with 10 points going into halftime, as EMU finished the first half down 46-31. 

After intermission, BGSU picked back up where they left off, widening the lead to 20 with under three minutes to play. Junior guard Bryce McBride contributed some late baskets to cut the Falcons’ advantage, but it wasn’t enough, as BGSU claimed the win 85-71. 

Despite the loss, the Eagles showcased a strong offensive performance, shooting nearly 50 percent from the field (49.1 percent). The effort is the Eagles’ fifth-best overall shooting performance of the season. The Eagles also scored 42 points inside the paint, which is their third-most in a single game this season. 

EMU had two players reach double-digits in scoring. Freshman Colin Golson Jr. tied his career-high of 16 points, and Bryce McBride tallied 15 points. Senior guard Darion Spotsville added 8 points and two assists. 

On the defensive end, freshman Mo Njie and Nate Scott led the Eagles with six rebounds each. Spottsville added on two steals for EMU. 

Next up, the Eagles return home to host Miami University inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center on Saturday, Jan. 29. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. 

Following Saturday’s matchup, EMU continued the homestand, hosting Toledo inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center on Tuesday, Feb. 1. The matchup will be broadcasted on ESPN3 and WEMU (89.1 FM) with a 7 p.m. tipoff. The game will be the annual glow night celebration, and EMU is encouraging all to get their neon gear ready to join the party. 

For more information on all EMU mens’ basketball, you can visit EMUEagles.com.