The Eagles lost their third straight game to Kent State

Senior Darion Sportsville led EMU with 20 points as he shot a perfect 4-4 from deep

The Eastern Michigan University mens’ basketball team (8-14, 3-8 Mid-American Conference) took on the Kent State University Golden Flashes (13-9, 8-4 Mid-American Conference) inside the M.A.C. Center in Kent, Ohio on Saturday, Feb. 5. 

The Eagles concluded their two game Ohio road trip in a loss to the Golden Flashes, 90-71. This is the second loss of the season for the Eagles to Kent State. 

EMU started the game a little rough, finding themselves down 16-11 early in the first half. The Eagles would then catch fire, going on a 7-0 run to take an 18-16 lead. After trading some baskets, EMU led KSU, 26-25, with about 7 minutes left in the first half. The Eagles would go on to lead the Golden Flashes, 39-35, at halftime. 

Kent State started off the second half strong, leading EMU 46-41. The Eagles would soar back with a 6-0 run, including a key layup from Noah Farrakhan to take the lead from KSU, 47-46. Kent State finished the rest of the matchup very efficiently, outscoring EMU 44-24, handing the Eagles a 90-71 loss. 

EMU had a strong showing from their bench as they produced a 33-point showing with three Eagles scoring double digits. Senior Darion Spotsville recorded a career-high 20 points as he paced the Eagles offense. Freshman Noah Farrakhan added 16 points and senior Nate Scott put in 11 points. Spotsville was electric from behind-the-arc, shooting a personal best, and perfect 100% (4-4). 

Defensively, Scott and freshman Mo Njie both grabbed seven rebounds. Njie also recorded two blocks, and four Eagles recorded a steal. 

The Eagles will look to bounce back and pick up a win, as they conclude their three game road trip at the University of Buffalo on Tuesday, Feb. 8, inside Alumni Arena. Tipoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN3. 

EMU returns to Ypsilanti on Saturday, Feb. 12, as they look for revenge against Ohio University inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center. Tipoff for that matchup is set for 3:30 p.m. and will be streamed on ESPN3. 

For more information on the Eastern Michigan University mens’ basketball team, you can visit EMUEagles.com.