EMU Baseball welcomes Oakland University in home opener

Luke Russo appears in his first collegiate start for Eastern Michigan

On March 22 Eastern Michigan University’s baseball team took the field inside Oestrike Stadium for a ball game against the Oakland University Grizzlies. 

In the end, EMU came up short against Oakland University resulting in a Golden Grizzlies victory. The final score was 5-4 bringing the team’s win-loss record to 5-12 for the season thus far.

The Eagles saw their highest scoring inning in the first inning where they were able to tally four runs. This is the sixth time the team scored at least four runs in a single inning this season.

Sophomore Nick Chittum pitched 4.2 innings, striking out three of Oakland’s batters, while only allowing two hits. This was Chittum’s first time this season recording multiple strikeouts in a ballgame since May 18, 2021 against Toledo, where he had two strikeouts.

This ball game against Oakland University marked Luke Russo's first collegiate start as pitcher for EMU. Russo fanned three batters from Oakland and allowed four runs on just one hit in 2.1 innings of the game, reported in game stats found on EMUEagles.com.

Shane Easter recorded one walk and two RBIs for the Eagles. This is Easter’s third time recording multiple RBIs in 1 game this season, ranking him second in RBIs amongst this year’s team. 

Logan Hugo also added a walk and an RBI while Daniel Warkentin went 1-for-4 and also finished with an RBI. Justin Reinkall recorded two strikeouts in 2.0 innings for Eastern Michigan, tying the senior’s season best. 

For more information about Eastern Michigan’s baseball team visit EMUEagles.com and give them a follow on Twitter @EMU_Baseball.