EMU gymnast Ella Chemotti individually qualifies for NCAA Regional Championships

Ella Chemotti scores a 9.900 on beam at the NCAA Regional Championships

Ella Chemotti earned an individual invitation to the NCAA Regional Championships March 30 - April 2, hosted by Oklahoma University at the Lloyd Noble Center. Chemotti competed on beam Thursday, March 31. 

Chemotti is the first freshman to individually qualify for regionals since 2010, when Kaylyn Millick qualified for all-around.  

After learning about Chemotti’s invitation, head coach Katie Minasola expressed her excitement for Chemotti in a conference with EMU Athletics.

"So excited for Ella to compete at Oklahoma. It is a great venue to compete in and the experience will be awesome,“ said coach Minasola.

Chemotti led the conference on beam, scoring 9.900 or better three times this season according to EMU Athletics. Currently, Chemotti is tied for second-all time on beam after scoring a 9.950 on Jan. 28. Chemotti was also named MAC Freshman of the Year and bars champion, earning All-MAC First Team and MAC All-Tournament Team honors. 

In order to advance to the National Championship meet, Chemotti needed to place as one of the top-two scoring gymnasts on beam. Chemotti tied for second place after her performance on Thursday with a score of 9.900. 

In an article published by Eastern Michigan Athletics, Head Coach Katie Minasola expressed the historical importance of Chemotti’s performance.

"I am extremely proud of Ella. Coming into the regional championships as an individual is difficult and then she rocked a beam routine. I can't wait for more big things from Ella,“ said coach Minasola.

Visit EMUEagles.com to learn more about Eastern Michigan’s gymnastics program. Also, be sure to follow the team on Twitter @EMUGym and Instagram @emugym.