The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU Baseball

EMU baseball swept in Friday double header against Kent State

The Eagles lost both matchups to the Golden Flashes, 5-0 and 4-3

On May 20, the Eastern Michigan University baseball team were swept by the Kent State Golden Flashes in game two and three of a four-game series. The results favored the Golden Flashes 5-0 and 4-3 inside Schoonover Stadium in Kent, OH.

In game one, batting was led by freshman Aaron Dolney. Dolney earned two walks to get on base for the Eagles. Junior Matt Kirk tallied the Eagles only hit of the first matchup.

Junior Frankie Volkers was named the starting pitcher for the Eagles, recording the loss (1-5). Volkers faced 25 hitters, conceding hits through two ground balls and five high fly balls. The right-hander completed nine strikeouts, which is a career high for Volkers.

During game two, junior Tyler Helgeson recorded a loss on the mound for the Eagles (1-1). Helgeson conceded one run, two hits, and two strikeouts. Sophomore Nick Chittum closed behind Helgeson’s efforts but fell short, allowing three runs, six hits, two walks, with one strikeout. Helgeson and Chittum collectively faced 34 hitters in the game.

Offensively, Sophomore Glenn Miller tallied two hits and an RBI in four plate appearances. The RBI was Miller’s eighth of the season. The second matchup between the Eagles and Golden Flashes records Miller’s sixth multi-hit game of the season. Aaron Dolney also contributed at the plate for EMU, chipping in two hits and a walk in three at-bats.

The Eagles season finale game of 2022 took place the next day on May 21, where they earned a victory of 15-8. The EMU baseball program record concluded in 22-34 overall, 16-24 conference.