The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

Jurassic World Dominion.jpg

Review: 'Jurassic World: Dominion’ feeds the nostalgia of the franchise

The cast of characters in "Jurassic World: Dominion" is its saving grace.

If you're a fan of the Jurassic franchise, then you’ll want to see the newest of the crew, “Jurassic World: Dominion.”

Otherwise, it doesn't necessarily live up to being a standalone film. Not only is there too much previous information you need for this movie, but the only reason I liked this movie was for its nostalgia factor. Without that, the movie loses its purpose.

Synopsis

Four years after the destruction of Isla Nublar, dinosaurs now live alongside humans. This balance between species will shape the future and determine if humans remain the planet's apex predator. The movie stars Bryce Dallas Howard as Clarie Dearing, Chris Pratt as Owen Grady, Jeff Goldblum as Ian Malcolm, Sam Neill as Alan Grant, and Laura Dern as Ellie Sattler. 

What I loved

The dinosaurs. Now this feels like an easy thing to love in a movie about dinosaurs, but sometimes the theme of the movie (especially when CGI is involved) is executed badly. In this film, the dinosaurs look, sound, and feel real. Not that we get an enormous variety of them, but the ones we do see (and see up close) are fantastic.

The nostalgic feeling the cast of characters gave me was a main positive of the movie too. Without these characters being in this film, I wouldn't have liked it. Being a wrap-up of the franchise, it felt awesome to have new and old characters together for the first and last time. 

What I didn't love 

Even from the trailers, there is predictibility shown for closure with new and old Jurassic Park/World members (which is the enjoyable part), but the whole movie surrounds the question of whether or not people will take advantage of dinosaurs. It's the classic "we need a bad guy" plot: not that it's not fun in ways, but you see it coming from the start.

The moving storylines lack a solid plot. I understand following different stories, but to keep up with everyone, we lose what each story means. The pre-ending plot through our characters simply feels like filler with loose connections to the actual storyline. We set up a lot of things that seem interesting, but don't get that closure. It was tough to see this movie as a finale (and not just another movie) of the franchise until the last hour. 

Verdict 

The only savior of this movie was having the original characters back again. This movie lacked the action and story of a final film and felt lackluster.

I give "Jurassic World: Dominion" a 5 out of 10.