outside.jpg

Advice: Use the EMU Engage app to get involved as a freshman

Tips to get involved as soon as you get admitted into college.

Students have plenty of things to do outside of class once getting to know other students in the dorms or in classes. However, if incoming freshmen or people new to Eastern Michigan University would like to be more involved or if it’s been a struggle to make connections with other students, using the EMU Engage app is helpful.

Not all students know about it, but the EMU Engage application is where students can find fellow peers to chat with, purchase textbooks from or ask about professors. Using EMU Engage, I was able to purchase a textbook that originally cost $80 for only $15. I also met many friends through the platform, so don't ignore this and download the application as soon as possible.

Not to mention, students at EMU need the application to log Supplemental Instruction (SI) classes. Also, when students need a study space in the library, the time can only be reserved using Engage.

By using the app, students will receive notifications and messages about joining clubs or working for The Eastern Echo as writers or photographers. Because of the EMU Engage app, I'm a writer today, whereas I wouldn't be if I wasn’t on Engage. Joining clubs and working on campus is a great way for students to get involved and make more connections with students and faculty.

Another thing that can help students get involved is going on community service trips with other students. Most of the time, students get notified by emails or posts on the EMU Engage application. Usually, students go out to clean parks or help with tree planting, which is considered entertaining when the weather is pleasant. If a student is part of the Honors College, a specific number of community service hours are needed to graduate, and those programs are a fun way to obtain those hours.

Also, attending campus events like football or volleyball matches can help students get involved and make friends, as well as lectures and theatre performances and other events that are often posted on Engage too.