Day Shift.jpg

Review: 'Day Shift' attempts to redefine the modern vampire movie

Netflix gives a comedic take on modern vampires.

If you like interesting comedic gore-filled movies, then "Day Shift" is for you. The film is a comedy to the max, but not much else.

Synopsis 

A dad needing to provide for his daughter uses a dull pool-cleaning job as a cover for his real job: vampire hunting. Starring Jamie Foxx as Bud Jablonski, Dave Franco as Seth and Snoop Dogg as Big John.

What I loved

The comedy aspect of the movie. Most of the movie genuinely made me laugh pretty hard. While some parts did feel overdone, comedy is needed in this movie to balance it out. "Day Shift" keeps you laughing, and keeps it funny instead of scary.

It was an interesting concept. I understood and saw what the directors were trying to create, but it ultimately fell flat. I loved the idea and the "new vampires," but I wish they did more story and less filler. 

What I didn't love 

The copious amount of gore. I have personally never been a fan of gore, but this film takes it over the edge. I felt like a few gory scenes would've been fine, but a lot of the plot centers simply around bloodiness. In the first five minutes, we get blood, dismemberment, breaking bones and more. Being labeled as a comedy, it took me for a loop, those things being the beginning of the movie.

The movie lacks substance. We just get thrown into the story, and it quickly goes over most “plot points.’‘ It just felt like the movie relied heavily on funny gore with nothing else to show for it. 

Verdict

Overall, I didn't hate the movie, but I couldn't love it. I feel like I would've liked it a lot less in theaters where I wouldn't be able to pause the movie and come back to it. If you like gore-heavy modern comedic vampire movies, then "Day Shift" may be for you.

I give "Day Shift" a 2.5 out of 10.