wonder years 2022.jpg

Review: The Wonder Years' record 'The Hum Goes on Forever' has a contagious charm

It has been four years since "Sister Cities," and The Wonder Years made it worth the wait.

The Wonder Years made a mark on the pop-punk scene with their release “The Upsides” which debuted in 2010. Though criminally underrated, they have brought out beautiful records, starting with “The Greatest Generation.” They are undoubtedly one of the most underrated pop-punk bands in modern times.

Since then, they have given the people five albums. They are well-known for their melancholy-sounding songs that can touch on some heavy topics like death and mental illness. It's commonplace for bands within the genre, but there is something about their take that is unique, and their newest release “The Hum Goes on Forever” is no exception.

Album Highlights 

“Wyatt’s Song (Your Name)” - 8.5/10

This song puts an end to the stereotypical slow song about the lead singer and how much they love their child. “Wyatt’s Song” is undeniably catchy, and at first glance, it feels too upbeat to be a song about someone’s love for their children. However, this song is lyrically gorgeous. For example:

“I recorded your heartbeat, it’s 133. The tempo is in my blood now. I hum it when I’m lonely.”

It is also beautiful how personal these lyrics are. For the uninitiated, the lead singer Dan Campbell has two children, and it is based on the journey Campbell has had with the older one.

Lyricism aside, the musicianship shows its good side within the song. Campbell punches the notes within the chorus, making the listener want to sing along. 

“Summer Clothes” - 8/10

If anything, this is a song that calls back to all the beautiful moments that can occur even in the darkest of times. This track gives out a youthful glow, almost as if the sun itself was bursting through the song. The music itself is gorgeous, almost reminiscent of the song “Sunnyland” by Mayday Parade where it is longing for the times of innocence. 

However, the meat of this song lies within the lyrics. Need proof? Please refer to the following:

“We’re floating on our backs. We’re staring at the stars, or the ones we can see through light pollution. Then we all pretend that if we squint real hard that we can make out the shape of the space station, and some lonely astronaut will smile back at us.”

If that is not enough to tell someone that this song is strongest in its lyricism, then they don’t know at all. 

“Laura and the Beehive” - 9/10

It is time for the tear-jerker of the album. This is about the death of a loved one. At the beginning of the song, the lyrical content is seemingly optimistic, thinking back to a time when said loved one saved the narrator’s life. Be warned of the chorus, since it becomes evident that this loved one passed away. 

The song is reminiscent of a church hymn, and it is fitting since it provides a religious experience. If one had to listen to only one song from the record, it would be this one. 

Musically, it might not seem that complicated. At the end of the day, that is what makes the emotions pull through completely. 

Overview - 8.5/10

This is one of the top pop-punk albums of the year so far, with no exceptions. Coming toward the end of the year, it is going to be hard to top it. Just like the title, the hum of this record will go on forever.