The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

smile poster.jpg

Review: 'Smile' is slightly terrifying

A new horror movie in theaters; perfect time to watch during Halloween. This movie will make people want to jump out of their seats.

"Smile" is one of the most terrifying movies I have ever watched.

The film stars Sosie Bacon as a therapist who, after witnessing the horrific suicide of a patient, begins to go through daunting experiences that involve hallucinations and believes it is supernatural. This overwhelming terror starts to control her life, and she has to face her past to get out.

I have been waiting months for this movie to come out, and when watching the trailer, it already freaked me out. Walking into the movie theater, I was full of excitement and terrified because I had no idea what to expect. I always watch horror movies, but recently there have been no scary ones until I watched "Smile."

This movie started quickly since the opening sequence alone was horrific. The daunting music in the background when the movie's title was announced was unsettling.

Parker Finn makes his feature film directing debut with "Smile," which he also wrote and directed. "Smile" is a terrific debut picture by a talented horror director. Before this film, Finn had only directed two other movies. This movie was his breakthrough. He did not fail to bring his talent to this film, and the angles of the camera provided darkness to the room.

My favorite part was the jump scares because, unlike other movies, these were not cheesy or cheap. They were the type of jump scares that make you throw your popcorn. The best appreciation I can give "Smile" is that it uses this dramatic approach where the jump scares often catch you off-guard.

During the movie, I am the person who covers their eyes when I feel the music getting darker. This movie made my heart pound out of my chest, and at one point, I wanted to leave because I could not handle it.

The antagonist's lack of being a demon with weakness is what makes it the most terrifying. The enemy is undetectable and unstoppable and leads you down a road of punishment. "Smile" provides graphic and horrific images, keeping you on your feet.

It is creepy like the movie "Black Phone," but it does not compare. It reminds me of "Black Phone" because of the smile on the mask used in that movie.

The movie does an excellent job of creating a race against time, real consequences, and a great deal of terror because you never know what will happen.

The main thing is that the antagonist uses Rose's past against her and brings up her trauma every which way. This movie reminds me of "Us" because she sees her family members who aren't them in front of her.

This film has the least expected ending that will have you shaken. "Smile" is a terrifying movie that goes above and beyond any expectations. It deals with the victim's remorse. By the end of the movie, I never wanted to run out of that theater faster.

I would give "Smile" a 9 out of 10.