The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

dark sun review.jpg

Opinion: Dayseeker's 'Dark Sun' demonstrates elegance in its theme of death

"Dark Sun" is gut wrenching, but in the best way possible.

Metal and metalcore bands have recently started getting into the mainstream charts within the past few years. By now, many are aware of who Bring Me The Horizon and Asking Alexandria are. However, sometimes there is a metalcore band that is not well known that people deserve the spotlight. Dayseeker just so happens to be one of them. 

Dayseeker, a metalcore band from California, has been around for roughly ten years. They are now on their fifth album in their discography, and it is a lot more synth heavy than their 2019 release “Sleeptalk.” Dayseeker is already known for their exciting take on the metalcore scene, and “Dark Sun” is no exception. 

Album Highs

“Afterglow (Hazel’s Song)” - 9/10

All that needs to be said about this song is in the vocals and the lyrics. Firstly, the vocals from the frontman, Rory Rodriguez, are so passionate that they send goosebumps down one’s spine. Rodriguez does an excellent job of relaying the song’s message through vocality alone.  

Lyrically is what is going to send someone over the edge with emotion. From what was understood, this is about the frontman’s child, Hazel. The song focuses on how since he is on the road for his music, he is missing milestones of her life. He does not want to be gone so long that his child forgets he exists, so thus he wants her to keep him in the “afterglow.” The lyrical content of this song is enough to bring tears to the listener's ears, whether they have a child or not. 

Album Lows 

“Midnight Eternal” - 6.5/10

Lyrically, “Midnight Eternal” is breathtaking. Along with the rest of the record, it is consistent in its theme about someone dying. The good thing about the record is that the theme never runs dry, and there is always something more to be said about it. 

However, it should be remembered that this record is heavy on synthesizers, this one in particular. Unfortunately, this drowns out the deeply meaningful lyrics. Thankfully, the song gets better with more listens. That said, it is still a downside to the record. 

Honorary Mentions 

“Paper Heart” - 8/10

“Crying While You’re Dancing” - 9/10

“Neon Grave” - 8.5/10

Overview 

“Dark Sun” is very good for a specific audience. Someone might like it if they do like their music to have electronic elements, or if they favor lyrics that are this solemn. However, they might find it less than favorable if those things aren’t their cup of tea. 

That being said, I would rank this record as an 8.2/10.