GameAbove Logo

GameAbove unveils Next-Generation Scholarship

The GameAbove Next-Generation Scholarship aims to aid in providing the financial assistance some students need for the completion of their degrees.

Eastern Michigan University alumni group GameAbove officially unveiled the GameAbove Next-Generation Scholarship on Nov. 3, in which the organization has provided initial funding of $75,000.

Beginning January 2023, the scholarship will start to be diversified amongst qualifying EMU students, aiming to provide financial assistance to students who cannot complete their degrees due to financial limitations.

"We know that many students find themselves at a crossroad, whether to continue with school, when financial aid is no longer available. When these students do have an opportunity to continue school, they are abundantly grateful," Khalid Walton, GameAbove advisory board member, said in a written statement.

To qualify for the scholarship, one must be enrolled in an EMU program, either part-time or full-time, must have applied for all state and federal financial aid available, and must partake in one of EMU's following persistence programs: Success Coach, Eagle Engage Corps, TRiO Student Support Services, Brotherhood/Sisterhood, Holman, or Honors College.

As students who qualify may differ with the amount of financial assistance needed, there is not a standard, set amount of funds that will be dispersed. GameAbove plans to work with EMU Admissions and Engage@EMU to help provide the scholarship to as many qualifying students as possible.

GameAbove, formed in 2019, currently consists of 25 EMU alumni and supporters. Since its formation, the group has collectively committed over $20 million to the university.

One of GameAbove's early initiatives was the Students Matter Most initiative, which encompassed the commitment of $1.5 million to provide students with financial resources. Included in this initiative is the GameAbove Emergency Fund– a one-time fund option for students needing financial assistance due to emergency expenses. With the Next-Generation Scholarship, GameAbove now offers two routes in which students can receive the financial support needed to continue their college careers.

"We hope that the GameAbove Next-Gen Scholarship provides a sense of relief for students and encourage them to graduate and give back in a similar way later in their professional career," Walton said.

If the scholarship is still needed after the initial $75,000 is designated to students, GameAbove intends to commit to its continuation.

To learn more about the GameAbove Next-Generation Scholarship and how to apply, visit GameAbove's website.