Campus_Police_01.JPG

EMU Police Department hosts free ALICE training sessions

In an effort to improve community safety, EMUPD will offer multiple free ALICE trainings for all members of the community.

In an effort to keep the Eastern Michigan University community safe and informed, there will be free ALICE trainings with the EMU Police Department open to all members of the community.

The first training will take place from 10 a.m. to noon on Jan. 26 in Marshall room 119. There will be two more sessions for community members in February.

At each session, participants will learn about active assailant situations, what action steps can be taken in the event of danger, and the system known as ALICE.

ALICE—an acronym for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate—is a training method for civilians to learn how to respond to active assailant situations.

ALICE focuses on providing options for individuals to take action should they find themselves in a dangerous situation.

“It is hard to measure how ALICE training we have offered may or may not have increased safety for participants, but one main theme of our training is situational awareness (ALERT)," Joseph Torres, Patrol Operations Sergeant at the EMU Police Department, said. "If people attend the training and only learn the ability to recognize and respond more quickly when facing a rapidly developing dangerous situation it increases the options they have available to respond.”

ALICE trainings with the EMU Police Department are held often and are a priority to the department.

“I would like to encourage anyone who can attend to drop into an ALICE session and meet with our officers," Torres said. "We offer a variety of safety programs, self defense classes and options for personal safety. Our officers are always interested in having interaction with the community.”

Groups interested in requesting a session should reach out to Torres at jtorresi@emich.edu, Community Outreach Officer Catherine Wilman at cgeyer@emich.edu, or Lieutenant Doug Wing at dwing@emich.edu.