IMG-6972.jpg

From tumbling to trending: EMU cheerleader gains 2.4 million views on recent TikTok

Eastern Michigan University cheerleader Olivia Fields' TikTok video at recent basketball game reaches 2.4 million views.

Freshman Olivia Fields, cheerleader and student at Eastern Michigan University, has amassed over 2.4 million views on a recent TikTok filmed at a recent men’s basketball game.

Fields, who is studying business at EMU, has been cheering since she was eight years old.

“Cheerleading brings me to a serene state of mind and makes me feel very happy,” Fields said. 

Following in the footsteps of her older sister, Fields decided to enroll at EMU this past fall. It was the encouragement of her friends, family, and former coaches that led her to try out for EMU’s cheer program.    One of those family members is her mother Dr. Doris Fields, Interim Chief Diversity Officer at EMU. 

“My mom tries to come to every game even if she has to come alone. I think she’s only missed one game throughout my entire cheerleading career,” Fields said.

Fields shared that what she loves most about being a part of EMU’s cheer team is the effort and desire to improve from all of her teammates. 

"I haven’t been on a team like this before. It’s very motivating and encouraging to be around,” Fields said. 

Between lectures, cheer practice, and 6 a.m. lifts, Fields always finds herself busy but never too busy to post a TikTok or two here and there. 

Unexpectedly, the 19-year-old caught the eyes of many on TikTok after she posted a video of her tumbling. 

"This wasn’t my first TikTok to hit over 1 million views, but I was shocked to see the views keep going up,” Fields said. 

Some users, concerned about the safety of tumbling with long hair, commented “Please be careful” and “Risky,” while other comments admired the strength it takes to complete a difficult tumbling pass with long hair. 

“I’ve been flipping with braids for a long time, so I know how to maneuver with them,” Fields said. “A lot of people don’t know that you can see what you’re doing, so when I was flipping I could see my hair going straight back.”  

Fields has hopes and dreams of opening her own accessories store and expanding her culinary skills.While in high school, Fields had a small business, “The VXO Collection,” with a catalog that included sunglasses, headbands, and bangles. 

To see more of Fields and to follow her along her collegiate cheer journey, you can follow her on TikTok @vdabratttt.