gloria sam smith.jpeg

Opinion: The most anticipated albums of 2023

Entering the new year, artists have already begun their rollouts for their next projects. Here are some of the most highly anticipated albums of 2023.

2022 was filled with some of the most revolutionary and spectacular albums when compared to the last few years. With many memorable projects, singles, and new artists, it can only make one excited for what's to come in the future.

As 2023 has just begun, here are the most anticipated albums of the new year.

Rihanna

The most obvious choice is the Barbadian pop star herself. Having been silent for the most part since dropping her acclaimed eighth album "ANTI," her name has slowly been brought up more and more within the past couple of years.

After recently releasing single "Lift Me Up" for the "Black Panther" sequel and being announced as the headliner for this year's Super Bowl, as well as more paparazzi coverage to the birth of her newborn, many fans speculate that these public appearances are rearing up for a new project, continuing to raise the anticipation.

Many can only hope that 2023 will put an end to her almost seven-year hiatus.

Travis Scott: "Utopia"

Before 2021, Travis Scott was considered one of the hottest artists in the nation, with the possibility of taking Drake’s spot. From big-time collaborations to well-revered albums, all of this led to high hopes for his upcoming studio album “Utopia.”

However, following one of the most tragic and traumatic concert experiences in recent history, he decided to lay low for most of 2021 and 2022. But near the end of last year, Scott's activity started to rise with the release of “Down in Atlanta” featuring Pharrell and with features on projects like "SOS" by SZA.

Many hope that this new album will revive his career and bring him back to the top of the charts.

Paramore: "This Is Why"

There is almost no band universally loved like Paramore. With classic hit songs like “Ain't It Fun,” “Misery Business,” and “Still Into You,” they have touched a large portion of fans over the years.

Recently, the trio of Taylor York, Zac Farro, and Hayley Williams announced the release of their follow-up to “After Laughter” titled “This Is Why.” This announcement has brought large amounts of attention back to the group, as well as the title track “This Is Why” and a few viral TikTok videos.

Sam Smith: "Gloria"

The English singer-songwriter Sam Smith has been a staple name for the past decade. With songs like “Latch,” “Stay With Me,” and “Too Good at Goodbyes,” it is hard not to appreciate the pop singer's work. With the confirmation of the release of “Gloria,” their 13-track album is staged to be released on Jan. 27.

Without a doubt, this project will continue the passionate work that they are so well known for.

Normani

There are plenty of other names that could be included in this list. However, there is almost no one with such an intriguing case as Normani. A past member of the hit group Fifth Harmony, Normani has always been seen as one of the most talented artists out there. However, she has confused fans as she has yet to release a debut project, even after garnering massive attention with singles like “Motivation.”

Constantly postponing her debut’s release and only releasing a few songs, she and her label have halted her success. There is almost no artist with more on the line for their debut than Normani.

Of course, this year has plenty more in store for us with the possibility of other stars such as A$AP Rocky, Ed Sheeran, kelela, Gorillaz, Cardi B, and more releasing. Each year, there is always a surprising new artist, the return of a past star, and more. One can only wait and see what 2023 has in store.