The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Women's basketball drops third in a row at Buffalo, 59-78

In a MAC duel, the Eagles 19-point performance from the bench was not enough to top the Bulls.

After falling to visiting Akron University Zips, 43-60, on Wednesday, January 11, the Eastern Michigan University women's basketball team (9-6, 1-3 MAC) headed east to play the University of Buffalo Bulls (8-5, 3-1 MAC) on Saturday, January 14, 2023. The Bulls had just come off a narrow road win at Ohio University also on Wednesday, as we get into the thick of Mid-American Conference play. Despite a season-high performance, the Eagles fell short 59-78.

Redshirt junior Ce’Nara Skanes led the team with 11 points and seven rebounds, followed by sophomores Lachelle Austin with nine points, nine rebounds, and two steals, and ZaNiya Nelson with 10 points, respectively. In total, the Eagles earned 19 offensive rebounds, a season-high for the squad.

Though Eastern Michigan took the first lead, 10-5, Buffalo answered quickly with two three-pointers and a layup to get in front. The start of the second quarter saw the visiting side down, 14-17.

The Bulls continued to widen their lead to 10 points, 23-33, by halftime. The fourth quarter saw a resurgence from the Eagles, getting their best FG percentage with 8-17 (33.3%) and the team's best free throw average of the game, 5-6 (83.33%).

The Green and White next head a bit closer to home, visiting the Kent State Golden Flashes (10-5, 2-2 MAC) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 18.

For more information on the EMU basketball team, tune in weekly to The Echo’s “TheBlockE” podcast for a more in-depth analysis.