The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

SPORTS HKN-HAWKS-WINGS 5 DE

EMU partners with the Detroit Red Wings for TRUEMU night

Eastern Michigan University teams up with Detroit professional sports teams to host a TRUEMU night with the Detroit Red Wings on Feb. 23.

Eastern Michigan University is partnering with the Detroit Red Wings to host a TRUEMU hockey night on Feb. 23. 

TRUEMU nights are for anyone connected to the university, offering a way to come out and support the Red Wings around current and previous Eagles.

With the special ticket package, attendees will receive an EMU/Detroit Red Wings co-branded hat.

“We celebrate Detroit and celebrate EMU with these events, and it’s fun to walk around the arena and feel so much school pride and camaraderie,” Darcy Gifford, Assistant Vice President for Marketing and Communications at EMU, said. "You see old friends, meet new friends, and even have a chance to get your picture taken with Swoop."

Additionally, a $5 donation will be made from each ticket sale to the Student Emergency Fund at EMU, a resource for currently enrolled EMU students who are facing an unforeseen financial crisis.

"We chose this fund because we know that financial emergencies are not only stressful, but they may jeopardize a student’s ability to continue their education,” Gifford said. "This fund helps students navigate financial crises and gives them the support they need to stay on track to reach their ultimate educational goals."

TRUEMU came from a marketing/student recruitment campaign in 2011 where “I AM TRUEMU” was written on advertisements and t-shirts. The campaign is no longer fully active; however, “I AM TRUEMU” is still featured today in TV commercials, and the social media hashtag #TRUEMU is also being used.

EMU's communications department has previously worked with many organizations to create these events.

The first TRUEMU event was a Detroit Tigers game at Comerica Park in 2012 called “TRUEMU Night at Comerica Park” because the “I AM TRUEMU” marketing campaign at the time was active.

Following the event's success, many others have happened under the TRUEMU label at venues, including Comerica Park, Joe Louis Arena, Little Caesars Arena, the Detroit Zoo, and Eastern Market, Gifford said.

EMU was one of the first universities to have themed nights with Detroit professional sports teams, including the Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, and Detroit Pistons. These local sports teams have now begun offering a college night series with many others, including the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Western Michigan University, and Central Michigan University. 

Previous EMU events have had more than 500 participants between alumni, staff, and students. 

People interested in attending the TRUEMU Red Wings night can purchase tickets on the Detroit Red Wings website under the College Night section.