Hogwarts Legacy

Review: 'Hogwarts Legacy' brings back childhood memories

"Hogwarts Legacy" allows players to experience the life of a witch or wizard in the magical universe of Harry Potter.

Harry Potter books, movies, and products have always been there. It has become people’s childhood favorite, and, for some, it’s the adulthood favorite too. It has 11-year-olds wishing to receive their Hogwarts letters in hopes to become a witch or wizard. As time passes, we realize we will never cast spells or have Professor McGonagall teach us transfiguration because it is not real… until now.

The "Hogwarts Legacy" video game was released for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and Windows PC on Feb. 10. The game allows you to customize your character and become a Hogwarts student. As an open-world game, it takes you on a journey through the school year where you learn spells, do side quests, and play through 43 different main quests. 

Players can also choose their Hogwarts house and explore the common rooms. The house Hufflepuff has a special quest where you go to the prison of Azkaban, but it is just a cut-scene, so you don’t get to roam around. Furthermore, the house Ravenclaw has the least amount of quests compared to the other three houses, but their quests are longer than others. 

"Hogwarts Legacy" made my childhood dreams come true. Getting to fly on a broomstick and see the Slytherin common room for the first time, there are no words to describe my emotions. The graphics are beautiful, the soundtrack is spectacular, and the atmosphere is incredible. Although there are some glitches in the game, it runs smoothly, and I have run into little issues so far.

I have to give kudos to the dialogue creator. The banter between students and faculty is light, funny, and not too repetitive. The character, Sebastian, is my personal favorite. He seems to always show up when I need him to, and his character design is cute. The animals in the game are fun to interact with. I like petting cats and taming wild creatures.

Hopefully, in the future, the developers of Avalanche Software will release more downloadable content that has more quests and more options on what you can interact with. I would love to see an option to have a love interest, adopt more animals, and go to different places such as Diagon Alley.

"Hogwarts Legacy” releases on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on April 4 and on Nintendo Switch on July 25. I cannot wait to see what this game has in store the longer I play, and I am looking forward to other updates in the future.