Eagle Crest Golf Course Sign

Eagle Crest Golf Club ranked 13th best college golf course in the country

Ahead of new construction and a new year-round business model, Eagle Crest's many improvements have been making waves in the college golf world.

Eagle Crest Golf Club has been on a steady rise since 2011 when Wes Blevins took over as general manager and director of golf. Since 2012, Blevins has implemented a “master plan,” turning Eagle Crest into one of the country's most talked about college golf courses.

“I started playing golf when I was 6 years old, and I became a [PGA] member in 2008," Blevins said.

In 2021, Eagle Crest officially made Golfpass’s top 25 list of best college golf courses in the country, a list compiled from ratings by actual golfers who have played the courses.

By 2022, Eagle Crest had climbed to the 15th spot on the list before this year's list increased its ranking to 13th.

Eagle Crest Golf Club is the official golf course of Eastern Michigan University, and thanks to a donation from GameAbove, it will soon be host to a state-of-the-art performance center for EMU’s own golf teams.

Along with the new center for students, Eagle Crest is also upgrading their facilities to include four indoor TrackMan training machines. The TrackMan machines allow players to get in-depth data on their performance due to various cameras and sensors while allowing for year-round play.

The four TrackMan machines will be hosted in a brand new 2,200-square-foot addition to the clubhouse, which will open by October 2023.

In addition to the new facility and machines, Eagle Crest is transforming their business model by staying open year-round, emphasizing dining and indoor play during winter.

The Eagle Crest Golf Club hosts a Marriott hotel, allowing visiting golf teams to stay on the property rather than commute to the course. This is especially important for the annual Shirley Spork Invitational, in which 15 college teams descend upon Eagle Crest for two days of competition.

Eagle Crest offers a student discounted rate and the Craig Pink Golf Academy for those looking to improve their game.

The future of Eagle Crest is bright, and Wes Blevins' enthusiasm for the course is frankly contagious.

“What's really exciting is the data and also all of the capabilities that TrackMan has to offer,” Blevins said. "We are excited to see if players actually want to come and hit golf balls on the driving range for practice, or if they'd rather go into the TrackMan simulator.”

Eagle Crest Golf Club is located at 1201 South Huron Street, a six-minute drive from campus.

The 18-hole course has a pace of play of around 4.5 hours, with nine holes taking just under 2.5 hours.

Students are offered a $20 discount on normal player rates.