Eastern Michigan vs Marquette

Blackwell notches EMU Lacrosse record with six goals against Central Michigan

The Eagles fell to the defending MAC champions, 17-11.

Freshman Mackenzie Blackwell (North Beach, Maryland) finished with an Eastern Michigan University lacrosse program record six goals in the Eagles’ (1-9, 0-2 MAC) 17-11 home loss to the defending Mid-American Conference champions, Central Michigan University (4-6, 2-0 MAC), on Wednesday, April 5. 

With Blackwell’s six-goal performance, she now surpasses her previous career-high of four goals and tied for the fourth most goals in a single game within the MAC this season. Blackwell also recorded her third consecutive hat trick of the season as she now sits with four hat tricks on the year. 

The Chippewas would start the matchup off strong as they found the net three different times in the first quarter to go up, 3-0, to enter the second quarter. EMU freshman Gina Jaffurs (Leonardtown, Maryland) would then answer back with a goal on a free-position attempt to put the score at 3-1. 

After CMU and the Eagles would trade goals to make it 4-2, EMU would strike two back-to-back goals from Blackwell and freshman Tracy Grollman (Annapolis, Maryland) to even the score at four with 8:41 left in the first half. 

Shortly after, Sydney Lawrence (Wylie, Texas) would put the Eagles in front, 5-4, as she netted one off a free-position attempt. With 47 seconds left to play in half, CMU would answer back to tie the game up at five to enter halftime. 

In the third quarter, CMU would start the second half strong as they would score three goals in the quarter to EMU’s one and regain the lead, 8-6, to enter the fourth quarter. 

The fourth quarter was an absolute scoring showcase by both sides as the Eagles and Chippewas combined for 14 goals in the quarter, with Blackwell scoring four herself. CMU would extend their lead, 10-6 before Blackwell scored off an assist from Lawerence to make it 10-7. 

The rest of the way was a back-and-forth offensive battle as the Chippewas would pull away with a 17-11 win over the Eagles. 

Next up, the Eagles will travel to Youngstown, Ohio, for a battle with the Youngstown State Penguins on Saturday, April 8. That match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. 

For more information on the Eastern Michigan women’s lacrosse team, listen to The Block E podcast for updates and in-depth analysis of all EMU athletics.