The-Super-Mario-Bros.-Movie-poster.jpg

Review: ‘The Super Mario Bros. Movie’ is the origin story fans have been waiting for

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie" is the best gaming adaptation in recent years

"The Super Mario Bros. Movie" is a surprising hit that takes you straight back to your childhood. I wasn’t sure of even the plot of the movie coming into it, but it surprised and amazed me with how good it was. I hope Nintendo plans to make more movie because I want more than just the taste we got with this film.

Synopsis 

Princess Peach is ready to protect the mushroom kingdom at all cost. With the help from Mario, they get ready to face off against the all powerful bowser to stop his plans of conquering the world.

Starring Anya Taylor-Joy as the voice of Princess Peach, Jack Black as the voice of Bowser, Charlie Day as the voice of Luigi, and Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario.

Movie highs 

The animation. It truly captivates your attention from the minute the studio credits come on. Illumination and Nintendo teaming up just truly makes this outstanding world of mario to life, in so many ways. From light scenes in the mushroom kingdom that make you want to visit, to the dark lands and haunted forest, it all keeps your attention the entire time.

The music was outstanding. They not only perfectly used already existing music to enhance the scenes perfectly, but it also created themes from the games in new music that perfectly brought you back to playing the games. The sounds kept me simply enchanted the entire time because it worked so well with the animations and scenes.

Honorable mention for the plot. I didn’t know if a movie that was made for kids would keep me intrigued but it did it ten times over. I can’t wait to watch it again because I know I missed some cool plot points; there were so many hidden gems throughout.

Movie lows 

The voices didn't always fit the characters. I really liked the plot and characters like Luigi and Bowser's voice actors, but sometimes Princess Peach and Mario didn't exactly fit the character in my head. It didn't take away from the movie too much, but I couldn't definitely tell at some points, "yes, this is someone voicing a character."

Sometimes the movie’s plot lost interest for me. Now, I never wanted to stop watching the film (because I didn't want to miss the visuals), but sometimes I just stared into the screen instead of truly listening to the movie. I understand it was made for kids, but I wish it was more clever in a way, and not always so kiddish (even though that is the audience).

Verdict

I am honestly still shocked with how awesome this movie was. From the music to animation, everything felt so intriguing and just so much fun.

I give "The Super Mario Bros. Movie" a 9.5 out of 10.