wing8.jpg

Review: 'On a Wing and a Prayer' is an inspiring true-story-based film

The newly released movie "On a Wing and a Prayer" is produced to keep the audience on their toes with teary eyes.

Although the poster for "On a Wing and a Prayer" may provide viewers with a general sense of the movie's plot, it cannot fully capture the emotional depth and thrilling moments that the audience will encounter while watching the film. Only by actually viewing the movie can one truly experience the full range of emotions and excitement that it offers.

Synopsis

"On a Wing and a Prayer" is a movie that is based on a true story about a man named Doug, who tragically loses his pilot brother. Despite his own failed attempts to become a pilot, Doug's passion for flying remains undiminished. After his brother's funeral, Doug and his family board a flight home, and his wife manages to persuade the pilot to allow Doug to sit in the co-pilot's seat. However, when the pilot suddenly dies mid-flight, Doug is left with the daunting task of landing the plane.

The movie follows Doug and his family as they confront seemingly insurmountable challenges, with the help of air traffic controllers and flight instructors who provide remote guidance and support. Their struggle to survive is a testament to the power of perseverance and prayer in the face of incredible adversity.

Movie’s Highs

"On a Wing and a Prayer" is an outstanding movie that truly captivates its viewers with its inspirational storyline. The fact that it is based on a true story makes it all the more remarkable. Roma Downey, who has produced other excellent movies, does a fantastic job with this one as well. The subplot involving the young aspiring pilot and her friend who follow the plane online adds another layer of interest to the film.

The casting of Dennis Quaid in the lead role is perfect, and he delivers an outstanding performance that is both convincing and captivating. The tension and suspense build as the control tower, King Air pilot guru, and other experts work with the emergency pilot (Quaid) to get him and his family safely on the ground. I was literally on the edge of my seat, riveted by the unfolding drama. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys inspirational, true-story-based films.

Movie’s Lows

There was a subplot that didn’t really change anything in the storyline. It was involving a young aspiring pilot and her friend who follow the plane online and try to catch the plane’s landing or crash, which doesn’t really make sense. The presence of the two young children in the movie is puzzling, as it is not clear what purpose they serve in advancing the plot. In fact, they are more of a distraction and annoyance than anything else.

Read more: Review: The fourth season of 'Manifest' is an enjoyable puzzle to be pieced together

It almost feels like the filmmakers added them in as a contrived plot device, hoping to appeal to a younger audience. At times, it seemed as though they were building up to a Disney-style climax where the child pilot would save the day, but this never materializes. Overall, the inclusion of these characters felt unnecessary and did little to enhance the movie's storyline.

Also, while the flying visuals are stunning, the character development feels rushed and lacking, making it difficult to connect with the story.

Rating

Overall, I liked this movie, although I was confused about some parts.

However, I would still rate this movie a 7 out of 10.