paul-weaver-ajIlMYniI_Q-unsplash.jpg

Fireworks, parades, and more: Washtenaw County Fourth of July events

With July 4 approaching, there are several events celebrating Independence Day in Washtenaw County. From fireworks to parades, there’s a little something for everyone. Here is a list of celebratory events happening around the county:

Ypsilanti Fourth of July Parade

Michigan’s longest running Independence Day parade will begin at 11 a.m. on July 4. It will start at the corner of Oakwood and West Cross Street and go down West Cross Street to the end of Rice Street. The parade will also be celebrating Ypsilanti’s bicentennial. This will be the parade’s 94th year running. Learn more on the parade’s official Facebook page

Bicentennial Community Picnic

After the parade on July 4, the bicentennial will be celebrated with a community picnic at Riverside Park. At the picnic, the official Ypsilanti time capsule that was buried in 1973 will be opened. The picnic is free and will include live music, refreshments, and activities such as games and face painting. Learn more on Ypsi Real. (Or Echo Bicentennial article)

Firecracker 5K in Ann Arbor

On July 4, the Firecracker 5K will take place at 8.a.m. The race has a $50 fee with a $4.90 sign up fee. The run is 3.1 miles long. There are two special divisions of the race; the You’re a Grand Old Flag Carrying Division which will run the race mounting an American flag, and the Hot Dog Eating Division where 20 or more competitors will attempt to eat four hot dogs in 76 seconds and then run the 5K. There will also be a One-Mile Fun Run for children. This run is non-competitive and only a mile long. View the full details on the event’s official website.

Whitmore Lake Fireworks

Whitmore Lake’s 63rd Independence Day fireworks show will happen on July 2. The fireworks will begin at dusk. Parking for the event is at Northfield Community Park and free to guests. Donations are welcomed to help support the fireworks. The event is organized by the Whitmore Lake 4th of July Committee which is a non-profit organization. Learn more on the event’s official website and Facebook.

Kiwanis Fourth of July Parade

Fireworks aren’t the only Independence Day celebration happening at Whitmore Lake. The Kiwanis Fourth of July Parade will take place July 4 at 10 a.m. Spectators can line up along 75 Barker Road. It is hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Whitmore Lake. Learn more on the parade’s official Facebook page.

Saline Area Historical Society’s Independence Day Event

The Saline Area Historical Society will be hosting their Independence Day Event on July 1 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hosted at the Saline Depot Museum, the event will be family friendly and old-fashioned. It will feature tours of the Depot, Livery Barn, and Caboose. There will also be games for children. Learn more on the Historical Society’s events page.

Fireworks in Manchester

The 40th Manchester Men’s Club annual fireworks show and Beer Tent will take place at Carr Park on July 3. The Beer Tent opens at 7 p.m. and will feature Star 69. There will also be different food vendors for guests to enjoy. The event is free though donations are welcomed. Learn more at the event’s official Facebook page.