MV5BNDBiZTNiNjItYWFjNC00Yzc2LWFjMWUtNDAyZmFlZGM0ZWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ5MDYzMTk@._V1_.jpg

Opinion: 'Interstellar' fans should check out these options

"Interstellar" is a science-fiction film that follows Joseph Cooper, a former NASA pilot who leads a mission through a wormhole to find a new habitable planet for humanity. Time is of the essence, Earth is dying due to a global food shortage caused by climate change.

As Cooper’s team travels through space, they experience time dilation, causing them to age much slower than those left on Earth. This results in Cooper returning to find that his adult daughter is now older than him, adding an emotional layer to an already intense and thrilling story.

The film explores themes of love, sacrifice, and the limits of human understanding, and has become a modern sci-fi classic. The movie is considered one of a kind because it applies physics and adds some fantasy, making it realistic but also surreal.

"Interstellar” captured the imagination of audiences around the world with stunning visuals and a mind-bending plot. So, fans of the film may be wondering where to turn next, particularly as the strike by writers and actors puts a halt to new film production projects.

Contact (1997)

Try "Contact.”

"Contact” is based on novel by Carl Sagan, where a scientist makes contact with extraterrestrial life and must fight to prove the reality of her experience. In comparison, "Interstellar" is a film that follows a former NASA pilot who embarks on a mission through a wormhole to find a new habitable planet for humanity to colonize. Both films explore themes of human exploration, scientific discovery, and the possibility of extraterrestrial life, but "Interstellar" has a more epic scope and delves deeper into the nature of space and time.

Although “Contact” was released 17 years prior to “Interstellar,” both are epic productions. Both involve time traveling in a way. Each movie has its own majestic side. Whereas ‘"Contact” explores more extraterrestrial life coming from a great astrophysicist’s point of view, “Interstellar” focuses on the theory behind time travel.

The Adam Project (2022)

Another option is "The Adam Project," which follows a man who travels back in time to seek the help of his 13-year-old self to save his father, a brilliant scientist, from being killed in a plane crash. With the help of his younger self and a skilled pilot, Adam Reed must navigate time and space to find his father and prevent the catastrophic event from happening.

Both ‘Contact” and “The Adam Project” deal with time travel and the exploration of space, but "The Adam Project" is a more focused and personal story, centered around a family's journey to change its own past.

"Interstellar," on the other hand, explores grander themes of humanity's place in the universe and the possibilities of interstellar travel. Additionally, "Interstellar" has a more complex and intricate plot, while "The Adam Project" is a simpler and more straightforward story.

Both movies were emotional and had me sobbing, but each of them is unique in its own way. The viewers may notice how good the visuals get year by year because “Interstellar” is an older film. The improved visuals in the “The Adam Project” create a film that is more compelling.

Read more about other movie reviews.

Joud Bamehriz is The Echo’s opinion editor.