share.jpg

Review: 'Creed III' is a classic boxing story with a unique spin

"Creed III," the emotional sports drama, isn't what anyone expected.

While knowing that "Creed III" is another boxing movie, viewers might have some expectations of the film to follow a classic formula. But, this one definitely adds its own unique spin to the genre. Through its themes of perseverance, teamwork, and dedication, the film delivers an inspiring and uplifting message of hope and resilience.

Synopsis

The movie tells the story of Adonis Creed, played by Michael B. Jordan, whose life is flourishing, both professionally and personally, as he continues to dominate the boxing world. However, his world is turned upside down when Damian, a childhood friend and former boxing prodigy, reappears after serving time in prison. As they prepare to face off in the ring, Adonis finds himself in a moral dilemma as he grapples with the complicated history he shares with Damian.

Their battle is not just about physical strength, but also about confronting their shared past and discovering what truly matters to them, which is what adds the emotional part to it.

Highs

The direction team masterfully crafts a powerful and nuanced scene in "Creed III" through the use of close-ups, pacing, and lingering shots. By showing what the characters hold back, the seemingly simple reunion dinner between Adonis and Damian becomes all the more compelling and impactful. Those small details show how the pace of the movie is important and affects what the viewers think as it seems natural and not at all rushed.

Another thing that grabbed my attention was the director's stylistic choices in the climactic showdown between Adonis and Damian in "Creed III," a masterclass in filmmaking. The use of sound design, camera movements, and visual effects creates an intense and emotionally resonant experience for the audience. Every element of the battle is expertly crafted, making it a truly unforgettable moment in cinema.

Lows

The predictability of the plot and the lack of intensity in comparison to previous Creed/Rocky films left me underwhelmed. It was very obvious from the beginning who was going to win the fight, which took out the fun of it. It was like reading a book and knowing exactly what the final chapter is.

Additionally, the use of classic fighting songs in the soundtrack, such as "Eye of the Tiger" and "Burning Heart," felt clichéd and uninspired, including their literal use in the opening scene.

This movie had an interesting story, and it included an emotional part that isn't usually found in boxing movies.

I would rate "Creed III" a 7.5 out of 10.