The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

IMG_1203.JPG

Eagle Sports Tips and Tales

From record breakers to win-loss tallies, Eagle athletes stay on the move. Whatever their goals, or obstacles, keep tabs on the tallies with The Eastern Echo’s Eagle Tips and Tales.

EMU Soccer’s Kate Robinson named MAC Freshman of the Year 

It was a disappointing season as a whole for the Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team, but freshman forward/midfielder Kate Robinson took home some hardware. 

On Tuesday, Oct. 30, the Mid-American Conference (MAC) announced that Robinson won MAC Freshman of the Year after her stellar season with the Eagles. 

Robinson finished the season with three goals and a conference-leading seven assists for 13 total points on the year. Her 13 total points were the most by a freshman this season. 

Along with the honor, Robinson was also named to the MAC All-Freshman team alongside teammate and fellow freshman forward Olivia Sipsock. 

Including Robinson, the Eagles now have four MAC Freshman of the Year in school history with Sabrina McNeill (2016), Angela Vultaggio (2011), and Amanda Kulikowski (1998) as the previous winners. 

EMU Track and Field announces official 2023-24 schedule 

Speaking of hardware, the reigning MAC champion Eastern Michigan University track and field team’s 2023-24 schedule was officially announced on Wednesday, Nov. 1. 

The Eagles will be in two places at once to jump-start the official season as they begin the indoor season in Saginaw, Mich. at the Saginaw Valley State University Holiday Open on Dec. 1-2, while also sending athletes to Boston, Mass. on Dec. 2. 

EMU will then get a break the rest of December before returning in January and making stops down the road on Jan. 13 as well as Jan. 26-27 for the Wolverine Invitational and the Michigan Invitational.  

The Eagles will follow that up by hosting the Bob Marks Memorial inside Bowen Fieldhouse on Jan. 20. 

February is the granddaddy of them all as the Eagles will see six meets and then the MAC Championships on Feb. 23-24, hosted right in the backyard in Ypsilanti, Mich. 

For the rest of the schedule, you can visit EMUEagles.com.

EMU Men’s basketball official season begins Monday 

College Hoops is back! 

The Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball team will officially begin their 2023-24 season on Monday, Nov. 6, as they will travel to Indianapolis, Ind. to take on Butler University. 

Monday’s matchup will mark the first-ever meeting between EMU and Butler. 

Head coach Stan Heath will enter his third official year as the EMU basketball coach, where he currently sits at 18-44 as head coach of the Eagles. 

A huge returner from last year's squad is junior guard Tyson Acuff who was named to the preseason All-MAC second team ahead of this season. Last year was the emergence of Acuff in the green-and-white as he capped off his first season on an Eagles averaging 14.3 points per game, 2.7 rebounds, and 2.8 assists.  

EMU women’s basketball ranked seventh in MAC preseason poll  

The lady Eagles have something to say as well, because they were just selected to finish seventh in the MAC preseason poll which was announced Thursday, Nov. 2 by the preseason coaches poll release. 

Along with the team being predicted to finish seventh, junior guard Lachelle Austin was named to the preseason All-MAC second team. Austin averaged 12.5 points per game, 4.3 rebounds per game, and 3.0 assists per game. 

The Eagles will tip off their season on Monday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m., right here in Ypsilanti as they will take on Detroit Mercy University inside the George Gervin GameAbove center.