Eastern Michigan Womens vs WMU

EMU Eagles lose to Michigan Wolverines in Women's Basketball, 80-44

On Friday, Nov. 24, the women's basketball team traveled down the road to the Crisler Center to play the University of Michigan Wolverines. The planned time of the game was 1 p.m.

Despite a 17-point effort from the bench, the University of Michigan Wolverines defeated the Eastern Michigan University women's basketball team 80-44.

Michigan and EMU reunite for the first time since the Wolverines got a 57-38 victory at the Convocation Center on Nov. 27, 2019.

The Green and White team comes into the match with a 1-2 record, securing their first win of the season against SIU Edwardsville Cougars with a score of 68-65 on Nov. 18, at the George Gervin GameAbove Center.

Meanwhile, the Wolverines (4-1) are rebounding from their initial loss of the season, a 60-49 setback against the University of Mississippi on Nov. 20.

The Eagles were led by Cali Denson, who scored nine points and had two steals. Tayra Eke contributed four blocks to the defense.

With four assists, Lachelle Austin moved the ball with efficiency. 

The Eagles faced difficulties from the beginning, trailing 24-12 at the close of the first quarter. The team continued to lose ground in the second quarter, encountering a halftime deficit of 47-25. 

Michigan extended its lead further after halftime, establishing a 58-29 advantage. However, EMU initiated a 5-0 run, highlighted by a three-pointer from Kyndal Lewis, reducing the deficit to 58-34 with 53 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

Despite the effort, Michigan responded, widening the gap to 62-34 as the game entered the fourth quarter. The Green and White displayed proficiency near the basket, securing six of its nine points in the paint.

Eastern Michigan surged in the third quarter, initiating a 5-0 run capped by ZaNiya Nelson's three-pointer, reducing the deficit to 62-39 with 8:01 remaining.

The Wolverines countered and dominated the remainder of the game, concluding with a final score of 80-44. Eastern Michigan's bench contributed, with non-starters contributing four of its 10 total points in the period.

Denson secured her spot in the starting lineup for the third straight game, a role she first took on in her career during the road game at Georgia Southern University on Nov. 11.

Notably, she remains the sole freshman to be part of the starting five this season. Kennedi Myles for the fourth game in a row topped the Eagles in rebounds, securing seven.

The Washtenaw County foes faced off for the 26th time on Friday. In this closely contested series, the Wolverines maintain a 17-9 all-time advantage over the Green and White. Eastern has emerged victorious in four of the last nine encounters.

The Eagles are gearing up for an extended road journey, set to travel west to North Dakota. The Green and White will first compete against North Dakota State University on Friday, Dec. 1, followed by a matchup with the University of North Dakota on Sunday, Dec. 3.