IMG_1731.JPG

Eastern Michigan University football adds 29 to program after Early Signing Period

The Eagles will see 19 high school athletes and 10 NCAA transfers join the squad

What Christmas is to little kids worldwide is what the Early Signing Period is to high school athletes and college football programs nationwide. 

The Early Signing Period allows high school seniors a 72-hour window in December to sign a National Letter of Intent with the school of their choice. The official National Signing Day is on Wednesday, Feb. 7. 

Wednesday, Dec. 20, marked the official Early Signing Period for high school student-athletes, as the Eastern Michigan University football program saw 29 commitments sign on the dotted line to join its program for the 2024 season. 

The class consists of 15 offensive and 14 defensive players from 11 states within the U.S. as well as countries Canada and Mali. 

A total of 19 incoming players from the class will be freshmen next season, while 14 of those players arrive with a three-star recruiting ranking from 247sports, and 10 athletes being transfers acquired from the NCAA transfer portal. 

Offensively the Eagles add running back JT Bronaugh from Foundation Academy, offensive lineman Blake Bustard from Wayne State, Dodji Dahoue from Santa Rosa Junior College, Maddox Gonzalez from Sterling, Everett Small from Clarkson North, and Andrew Steger from Fremont. 

Wide receivers Antonio Floyd from Lovejoy, Porter Rooks from NC State, Oran Singleton from Hutchinson Community College, and Dalin Wilkins from Northmont. As well as quarterback Drew Viotto from the University of Minnesota, and Jace Stuckey from Triton Central. 

Tight ends Braden Laux from Belle Vernon, Jonathan Odom from the University of Florida, and Caden Vanderbush from Plainfield round out the offensive weapons. 

On the defensive side arriving in Ypsilanti are linebackers Mervell Eggleston Jr. from Detroit King, Terrelle Elmore from Merrillville, Zion Fonua from Tyler Junior College, and Luke Murphy from Kent State University. 

Defensive backs Caleb Turner from Green Run, Jordan Toney from Hapeville Charter, Wendell Smith Jr. from Southfield A&T, Jaylyn Monds from Westwood, Dramarian McNulty from Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Ray Hester from Chippewa Valley. 

To round out the class, defensive lineman ShuMond Johnson from Creekside, Noah Patterson from Ironton, Dylan Shelton from the University of Indianapolis, and Javon Thomas from East Lansing High School.