The Eastern Echo Friday, July 26, 2024 | Print Archive

A bronze statue unveiled in August 2023 depicts EMU alum and NBA player George "Iceman" Gervin, stands outside the George Gervin GameAbove Center on the Eastern Michigan University campus.

Eagle Sports Tips and Tales

From record breakers to win-loss tallies, Eagle athletes stay on the move. Whatever their goals, or obstacles, keep tabs on the tallies with The Eastern Echo’s Eagle Tips and Tales.

EMU hoops’ Tyson Acuff recognized on Lou Henson Award Watch List  

Can’t cuff Acuff! 

Eastern Michigan University basketball junior guard Tyson Acuff has been on a tear all season, and the proof is in the pudding as Acuff was named to the Lou Henson Award midseason watch list. 

The award honors the legendary Lou Henson who is a former Illinois and New Mexico State head coach who won 775 games in 41 seasons. 

Including Acuff, three players from the Mid-American Conference (MAC) were named to the list as the University of Akron's Enrique Freeman and Bowling Green State University's Marcus Hill. 

Players eligible for the award must play in the following conferences: America East, ASUN, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, CUSA, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, MEAC, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, SWAC, Summit, Sun Belt, WAC, West Coast.

The 2024 award will be announced in Phoenix, AZ, the site of the men's Division I Basketball Championship.

EMU Diving finishes four inside top 10 at Buffalo Diving Invite 

The Eastern Michigan University dive team participated in the University at Buffalo Diving Invite as four Eagles finished inside the top 10. 

Three divers from the three-meter dive would see the top 10 as junior Rebekah Knapp (Mesa, Ariz.) finished in fifth place with a score of 280.15 points. 

Senior Camyrn Hughes (London, Ontario) placed seventh with a score of 271.56, while grad student Keira Veltigian (Oxford, Mich.) finished in eighth place with a score of 271.05. 

In the one-meter, junior Ciara Wheeler was the lone Eagle inside the top 10 as she placed fourth with a score of 256.25. 

EMU gymnastics finish with season-high team score at Minnesota 

The Eastern Michigan University gymnastics team took on the University of Minnesota as the Eagles finished with a season-high team score of 194.900. 

Senior Raisa Boris (Brooklyn Park, Minn.) and Trinity Macy (Rowlett, Texas) would lead the Eagles on bars as they each scored a 9.800, tying for fourth overall on uneven bars. 

In the second rotation on vault, the Eagles scored a 48.650 as Boris recorded a 9.825 on the apparatus, tying with one other Gopher for the overall top spot in the event. 

EMU would go to the floor for the third rotation as the Eagles finished with 48.800 score as Boris’ 9.825 was good for sixth place. 

The Eagles would finish on the beam with a season-high 48.975 score as freshman Jacquelyn Patterson (Mason, Ohio) led EMU with a career-high 9.875 for a second place finish.