The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Jamie All Over lofi.jpg

Review: 'Jamie All Over' is revamped with less yelling and more vibing

The lofi cover no one knew they needed until now.

Rock music is great, and emo-rock music is even better. However, sometimes it does not fit every mood. Not many people want to headbang or cry while they are sleeping or studying. That is where low-fidelity music comes in, otherwise known as lofi. 

Background

“Jamie All Over” is one of Mayday Parade’s most well-known songs in their career. It has paved the way for other bands in their genre. In this version, they collaborated with Less Gravity and Aleks, both known for their lofi beats and use of electronic instruments, to turn this hot emo-track into something more palatable for the faint of ear. This song is a part of Mayday Parade’s upcoming lofi EP. 

Musical Overview

In comparison to the original track, this variation has a specific feel that it is going for. While the 2007 hit makes its mark using harsh instrumental and edgy lyrics, its 2024 counterpart is best recognized as something that is meant to be zoned out to. One version is meant to be screamed to, the other is meant to be slept to. 

The good thing about lofi music is that it does not need to be overly complex to get its motive across. Sometimes it really is just the little things. That being said, like every song in existence, this is not going to be something that everyone vibes with.

Contrary to what was said before, there are some people who would rather fall asleep or study to someone yelling angsty lyrics into their ear. Another reason that someone might not like a song like this is because it is not the original, but in the same breath, that is the point of a track like this. 

More: 'Dead to Me' tells a story you'll never forget

More: Have no fear; 'The Fear of Fear' is here!

Verdict

This song is a 9/10.

"Jamie All Over - Lofi:"

"Jamie All Over" original track:

Kasper Mielke is a music reviewer for the Eastern Echo. He is a women and gender studies major with a minor in creative writing. He has worked for The Echo since the summer of 2022, and has stuck to writing music reviews.