IMG_7985.jpg

Nia Shack: From EMU to Super Bowl halftime stage

The story of an EMU dancer who lit up the stage at the Super Bowl Halftime Show

In the world of dance, the journey from obscurity to the spotlight is often a tale of perseverance, passion, and seizing every opportunity that comes one's way. For Nia Shack, a dancer hailing from Clinton Township, Mich., this journey has been nothing short of extraordinary.

From the quiet streets of her hometown to the bustling stage of a halftime show featuring some of the biggest names in music, Shack's story is one of determination, family support, and the transformative power of dance.

Shack's path to success began with a simple audition - a one-minute video of her dancing to an Usher song, accompanied by a few photos. The audition process was demanding, requiring hours of practice and unwavering dedication, but Shack's perseverance paid off when she received the long-awaited acceptance letter. However, the road to the spotlight was met with challenges.

“I stayed in Vegas for two weeks, during which we had eight rehearsals. Rehearsals ran for 7-10 hours a day, and our phones were locked in pouches during rehearsals to prevent any information about the show from getting out," Shack said. 

One of the biggest hurdles Shack faced was the lack of provided travel and housing accommodations. Determined, she and her family took matters into their own hands, arranging for their stay at a charming Airbnb in Las Vegas, the city where dreams are made and stars are born.

It was in Las Vegas that Shack's journey took an unexpected turn. Not only did she have the opportunity to share the stage with icons like Usher, Alicia Keys, H.E.R., Ludacris, and Lil Jon, but she also had the chance to meet them face-to-face. However, the excitement of this once-in-a-lifetime experience was tempered by the need to sign a non-disclosure agreement, prohibiting Shack from sharing her involvement until after the halftime show had concluded.

“I have a deep love and passion for performing and commercial dance, which is what inspired me to pursue this opportunity. Anyone who knows me personally knows I love going to concerts," Shack said. "I have seen amazing artists, and as a dancer, I always pay close attention to the backup dancers at concerts. They add so much energy and excitement, bringing the shows to life," Shack said when discussing her love for dancing and what inspired her to audition. 

Shack's passion for dance began in her senior year of high school when she searched for inspiration on Instagram. There, she discovered Eastern Michigan University's dance team and decided to take a leap of faith by auditioning. Three years later, she finds herself not only a member of the team, but also at the center of one of the most memorable highlights of her college life.

“Being a part of EMU's dance team has been an incredible and fulfilling journey. It has been the most memorable highlight of my college life and has provided me the opportunity to meet some of my best friends,” Shack said. 

Being part of EMU's dance team has been more than just a hobby for Shack; it has been a journey of self-discovery and growth. From the grueling rehearsals lasting up to ten hours a day to the friendships forged along the way, every moment has been a testament to Shack's resilience and unwavering dedication to her sport.

As Shack reflects on her journey from Clinton Township to the bright lights of Las Vegas, she is grateful for every twist and turn that has led her to where she is today. As she continues to chase her dreams, she does so with passion, perseverance, and a supportive family by her side.