The Eastern Echo Friday, July 26, 2024 | Print Archive

Eastern Michigan vs Western Michigan game 1

Eagle Sports Tips and Tales

EMU gymnastics places two on All-MAC First Team list 

The Eastern Michigan University gymnastics team saw two Eagles placed on the All-Mid-American Conference First Team, the league announced on Tuesday, March 19. 

Junior Ella Chemotti (Canton, Mich.) notched her third consecutive first-team selection as senior Raisa Boris (Brooklyn Park, Minn.) earned the first selection of her career. 

Boris finished with a total of 430.8 individual points on the year as she led the team and ranked first in the league for all-around with a National Qualifying Score (NQS) of 39.360. 

Chemotti held the top spot on the beam, leading the MAC for three consecutive years as she finished with a personal-best NQS of 9.880 this year. 

Chemotti now becomes the first EMU gymnast in program history to secure a first-team selection for three straight seasons. 

EMU Soccer names Mary Carlson as new assistant coach 

The Eastern Michigan University soccer team has named Mary Carlson as its new assistant coach, head coach Taylor Clark announced on Tuesday, March 19. Carlson now completes the coaching staff as she joins Clark and associate head coach Matt Hinds. 

A former four-year soccer player at Central Michigan University, Carlson comes from Grace Christian Academy in Franklin, Tenn., where she served as the program's Girls Associate Head Coach. 

As a Chippewa, Carlson led CMU in minutes played during all four seasons as a two-time captain for the program. She started in 78-of-78 possible games while earning four Academic All-MAC honors and being named to the MAC All-Freshman team in 2015.

Carlson also spent some time as a semi-professional as she served as player-coach and captain for Beaman United FC in 2022 where she was named to the Lansing United’s Team of the Decade. She also was a member of Grand Rapids FC as she helped the program secure the National Championship in 2017. 

EMU Tennis’ Brichackova and Saenko named MAC Doubles Team of the Week 

Eastern Michigan University tennis players Sabina Brichackova (Cheb, Czech Republic) and Ksyusha Saenko (Voronezh, Russia) earned the Mid-American Conference’s Doubles Team of the Week honor, the conference announced on Tuesday, March 19. 

Brichackova and Saenko notched a 7-6(5) doubles win at No. 3 to earn the doubles point for the Eagles against Miami University. It marked the first time the Eagles secured a double point against Miami since 2016. 

The win helps bring Brichackova’s career total to 79, with 41 wins in singles and 38 in doubles play while Saenko leads the team with 17 singles wins with 27 combined wins. 

The Doubles Team of the Week honor marks the second of the season for the Eagles.