EMU Womens Lacrosse Vs. Marquette

Eagles lacrosse triumphs over Akron with an 11-10 victory, securing first MAC road win

In a thrilling showdown at the University of Akron, the Eastern Michigan University lacrosse squad clinched a close game of 11-10 road triumph on March 24. This epic clash, marking the Eagles' Mid-American Conference debut at InfoCision Stadium in Akron, Ohio, showcased their resilience.

Despite building a commanding four-goal lead by halftime, the Eagles faced a relentless Akron squad (5-7, 0-2 MAC) determined to defend their home turf. In the game, Eastern Michigan (4-4, 1-0 MAC) etched their names in history, securing their maiden road MAC victory amidst heart-pounding action that left fans on the edge of their seats.

Eastern surged ahead with a rapid-fire 2-0 lead, seizing control from the get-go as they dominated the draw, stormed into the offensive zone, and found the back of the net. Mackenzie Blackwell (North Beach, Maryland/Northern) fired the opening shot, swiftly followed by Sydney Lawrence (Plano, Texas/Plano East/Oregon) who capitalized on a Blackwell assist to extend the lead to 2-0.

The Zips, however, mirrored Eastern's strategy with successful draws and two quick goals, leveling the score. Yet, Eastern's momentum persisted as Kelsea Dague (Lancaster, Pennsylvania/Hempfield) capitalized on a pass from Tracy Grollman (Annapolis, Maryland/Annapolis Area Christian School) reclaiming the lead at 3-2.

The hosts retaliated once more, knotting the game at three by the end of the first quarter.

The Eagles' triumph signifies a historic milestone as it marks their inaugural road victory in conference play. In the program's debut season (2023), EMU had struggled, going winless at 0-4.

The second quarter began with a flurry of turnovers, setting the stage for an intense battle. Despite the shaky start, the Eagles regrouped after a timely timeout and unleashed a stunning five-goal spree, propelling them to an impressive 8-3 lead.

Avery Schwab (Dublin, Ohio/Dublin-Scioto) along with Amber Alderman (Lusby, Maryland/Patuxent), Dague, and Blackwell, all contributed to this electrifying offensive surge. The Zips managed to sneak in one goal before halftime, trailing 8-4.

As the third quarter unfolded, EMU maintained its dominance, with Blackwell notching her third goal of the game, securing a comfortable 9-5 lead heading into the final quarter.

In a tense fourth-quarter exchange, both teams traded goals, with Alderman scoring her second and Blackwell netting her fourth, this time with an assist from Dague, extending the lead to 11-7 with 5:15 left on the clock. Despite a late surge from the Zips, who managed to score three goals in the final minutes, the Eagles held on tight, clinching a thrilling 11-10 victory.

With the win, the Eagles have not only doubled their overall win total from last year (2-14) but also equalized their MAC win total (1-7), propelling Eastern to a season record of 4-4 (1-0 MAC), while Akron dropped to 5-7 (0-2 MAC).

Up next for the Eagles, EMU hops back into league play on Sunday, March 31, against the Golden Flashes and will meet at Scicluna Field in Ypsilanti with the opening draw scheduled for noon.