The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

Living in Fiction

Review: Living in Fiction makes us fall more in love with a political anthem

What would the world be if it weren’t for metal? Something rather boring, that’s what. Living in Fiction, a metal cover band, took this as a challenge and took one of the most iconic alternative songs and flipped it on its head. 

Background

The 1975 is an alternative rock band that has been active since early 2010. “Love It If We Made It” is a political piece critiquing the many things wrong with the world. Living in Fiction is a metal band that has done many covers of popular songs such as “Love Me Like You Do” by Ellie Goulding. This time is a bit different since it is something that is marginally closer to the sound of their music. 

Did they do it justice?

“Love It If We Made It” is a timely piece for the year 2018 and one might think that renewing it six years later was going to be irrelevant. However, a lot of the topics discussed can still be recognized in 2024. The metal version just emphasizes what is being talked about.

One of the most impressive things about this song is that it still manages to keep the same mood. Sometimes when a metal band does a spin on popular music they completely change the color. Thankfully, Living in Fiction did not do that when adding rough vocals to the mix. It is still enjoyable, and maybe even more enjoyable to the person who may not love music like The 1975’s. 

More: Dad rock songs to headbang to

More: A new and improved 'Lust For Life'

Verdict

It is easy to say that this song thrives under the sound of metal. This cover can compete with the original. 

Living in Fiction’s cover of “Love It If We Made It” by The 1975:

Kasper Mielke is a music reviewer for the Eastern Echo. He is a women and gender studies major with a minor in creative writing. He has worked for The Echo since the summer of 2022 and has stuck to writing music reviews.