The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

EMU baseball player, #17, in a white and green striped uniform running to first base.

EMU walks off Central Michigan, 6-5, in ninth inning to clinch series win

Eastern Michigan University staged a dramatic comeback, scoring five runs in the ninth inning to secure a thrilling 6-5 victory over Central Michigan University on Saturday, March 30, at Oestrike Stadium.

Aidan Arbogast (Livonia, Mich./Stevenson/Mid-Michigan/Kellogg C.C.) delivered the walk-off hit. Logan Hugo ​​(Essexville, Michigan/Essexville Garber) and Cory Taylor (Shelbyville, Indiana/Shelbyville) each contributed two RBIs to the win. EMU clinched the series with this victory, winning two out of three games.

In a game of twists and turns, Aaron Pirkle (New Albany, Ohio/New Albany) stepped up for Eastern Michigan (11-15, 6-3 Mid-American Conference), securing the win out of the bullpen with an impressive performance. The left-handed pitcher showcased his talent over three shutout innings, allowing just one hit while striking out three and issuing three walks.

At the plate, the Eagles found their rhythm with standout performances. Hugo, batting 2-for-4, led the charge with two crucial RBIs. Taylor added to the offensive onslaught contributing a double and two RBIs while going 1-for-4. Additionally, Cooper Vance (New Waterford, Ohio/Mohawk) made his mark, tallying a hit in three plate appearances, including a triple and an RBI.

Pirkle's pitching brilliance and strong offensive displays propelled Eastern Michigan to a well-deserved victory, highlighting the team's depth and resilience.

The Eagles found their rhythm after trailing 3-0, initiating their scoring spree in the sixth inning. Eastern Michigan broke the silence on the scoreboard when Vance's triple allowed Arbogast to cross home plate. Despite Central Michigan extending their lead to 5-1, Eastern Michigan staged a remarkable comeback.

In a thrilling ninth inning, the Eagles rallied fiercely, notching five runs to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The game reached its climax when Cole Wilcox (Shiocton, Wis./Shiocton/Lake County) dashed across home plate, sealing the walk-off win for Eastern Michigan.

In a pivotal moment, Vance delivered a crucial triple, igniting Eastern Michigan's offensive charge and driving in their first run of the day. This marked Vance's inaugural triple of the season, boosting his RBI count to 18. Furthermore, it contributed to the Eagles' fifth triple as a team for the 2024 season.

Up next for the green and white, Eastern Michigan will travel down the road to Ann Arbor to take on the University of Michigan for the second time this season, Tuesday, April 2. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.